Skype/iChat new HD webcams

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kha0s, Apr 2, 2010.

1. kha0s macrumors member

kha0s

I was looking for a new webcam when I bumped into this link. After some research on the "HD webcam" issue I rounded up the following party:
    FV TouchCam N1
    FreeTalk-7181 HD Pro Plus
    Logitech Webcam Pro 9000
    Creative Live! Cam Socialize HD
    From the two with a "embedded H.264 encoder chip", only the TouchCam N1 seems to be available for purchase at this time.
    After reading some reviews on all models, I've decided to go for the "H.264 chip" ones (FaceVsion TouchCam N1 and In Store Solutions FreeTalk-7181 HD Pro Plus). Although the former has sleeker looks, I'm currently more inclined to the later because of the following reasons:
    ->720p at 30fps (The TouchCam N1 only does 22fps at 720p)
    ->4 cardioid microphones with a four meter range (The TouchCam N1 only packs 2 Unidirectional dual microphones).
    Here's a feature comparison on both models: TouchCam N1, FreeTalk-7181 HD Pro Plus.
    Since the idea is to use the cam with my Mac Mini at the living room, the audio pick up at couch distance must be flawless. That's the core reason why I'm holding up for the FreeTalk-7181 HD Pro Plus. The official In Store Solutions press release says it will be available "March 2010" at the Skype Shop. So far there's nothing there.
    Has any one seen one of these for sell out there? Any decent reviews?
    Currently the 720 HD is only supported in "Skype 4.2 for Windows". Any thoughts to when this will be implemented on the Mac? More importantly, will iChat be able to take full 720p advantage of these new HD cams?

Thanks in advance.

2. raffinux macrumors newbie

Which webcam did you buy at the end?

Hi kah0s,

I'm also looking for an HD Cam for my HTPC.
    I would like to buy the FV Touchcam N1 even if I won't be using the 720p resolution and the H.264 hardware encoder chip since I will use it with Skype for Mac.

Which webcam did you buy at the end?
    Any advice or feedback for the mic sensitivity when talking from the couch?

Thanks
    Raffa

3. edoras macrumors regular

I was also thinking of getting a Logitech C310 which is said to be UVC.
    ANyone have any experience with this?