Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jerz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
Just got a late 2013 rMBP with max specs.

Got skype and talked to friends however, I only heard them through my right speakers.

After googling, people said it was actually a feature not a bug since they have some sort of noise cancelling mic on the left speaker.

Is this true for you guys that use skype? Right speaker audio only?

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008

Got skype and talked to friends however, I only heard them through my right speakers.

After googling, people said it was actually a feature not a bug since they have some sort of noise cancelling mic on the left speaker.

This might be the mavericks bug from the latest update where it changed the speaker balance to the right for no reason. Go to System Preferences -> Sound and check the speaker balance.

Jerz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
Yep,

first thing I did was to check that. I checked it with Spotify and it was totally fine, music coming out both sides. And the balance from the sound settings in system preferences was right in the middle too. I even moved it to the left and moved it back.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Yep,

first thing I did was to check that. I checked it with Spotify and it was totally fine, music coming out both sides. And the balance from the sound settings in system preferences was right in the middle too. I even moved it to the left and moved it back.

Test call too?

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Test call? Where do I find that

Go to your contacts in Skype. One of them is called Skype test call. Call it.

It allows you to make a call to Skype record a message and have it played back to you. If the sound is strange there too then its not the fault of the other person/persons computer.

Jerz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
Go to your contacts in Skype. One of them is called Skype test call. Call it.

It allows you to make a call to Skype record a message and have it played back to you. If the sound is strange there too then its not the fault of the other person/persons computer.

Tried that, only played back on the right side.

Made a genius bar appointment, but I think it's just Skype since I have no problems with any other apps.

matosbr

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Norway
I've always assumed this was normal behaviour to avoid feedback since the microphone is on the left side...

Jerz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
I've always assumed this was normal behaviour to avoid feedback since the microphone is on the left side...

Right, but I've asked some of my friends who have the Retina MBP and it's not happening to them. They don't have the late 2013 rmbp model though.

elyah

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011

I can confirm this I have the late 2013rMBP received late December with Max specs also my audio from Skype comes from the right speaker only

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.