Skype + iPhone = $42 / Month Mobile Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Littleodie914, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

So I was looking on Skype's website, and it looks like you can get *unlimited calls* for only $30 a year. Now, lets say that Skype writes a native app for the iPhone, and you sign up for their yearly plan.

You don't *have* to buy a voice plan for the iPhone, right? You can stick with the data plan alone? So by my math, if you're willing to part with the SMS and voicemail, couldn't you have a mostly-functioning iPhone for $42 a month? Or am I missing a piece of the puzzle? :eek:

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

and how do you propose to connect to this service and maintain a persistent connection? because you won't be able to use any part of the ATT network to do it, you will only be able to do it with WiFi

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Well...there's the small fact that a Skype app probably won't be allowed on the iPhone to begin with. And it would be pretty useless with wifi connection only...

5. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Well I might have been mistaken, but I was under the impression that you could purchase an iPhone and *just* sign up for the unlimited data plan for $40 a month. Then, if Skype was a native app, it could just run over Edge or the 3G network, if available.

6. agentornge33 macrumors newbie

i believe the question about VoIP was raised at the SDK/2.0 software event and Steve said any native VoIP apps would be restricted to use on wifi...while i'd love to see your proposal as a viable option i still feel like voice call quality has a little bit of a ways to go before I'm willing to give up a voiceplan...even with AT&T...

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

god that would be great but no way they will allow it

8. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm, that's a definite bummer. I had always (mistakenly) thought that you could just sign up for an iPhone with the data plan. Why wouldn't AT&T let you? We have a family plan through AT&T with our other phones that's $70 a month *total* for 3 of us, so I had considered getting an iPhone with just the data plan, and then selling my iPod Touch.

But I guess that won't be happening. :mad:

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

You could if you are deaf. $40/month for Text Accessibility Plan for iPhone. I don't think they would allow Skype over deaf plan though.

10. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I actually heard about that, but nope, 20/20 hearing here. ;)

11. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i have the unlimited calls plan for skype but there's a limitation to what numbers you can call, and they're usually limited to just landlines and not mobile lines. my gf is in korea and i use skype to call her, but it's not covered since i'm calling her mobile number.

12. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I think the data only plans that you are referring to are related to the Laptop Connect Cards, etc. I haven’t' researched it in a while, but AT&T used to let you get a data only plan for phones that you tether to your laptop, but pretty sure they would not allow this on the iPhone. No one knows until it is released, so they could surprise us.

EDIT: This plan I speak of (cell phone only data) was prior the AT&T to Cingular and back to AT&T changes.

13. tritonj macrumors 6502a

there was a rumor about getting a data only plan, but that still doesn't mean that ATT is going to let you use VoIP over their network, you can browse the internet to your hearts content though