"Skype is damaged and can't be opened."

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nein01, May 13, 2014.

1. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

I get this error every time I try to open Skype now:

"Skype" is damaged and can't be opened.
    You should move it to the Trash.

I'm running 10.9.2 and this is the most recent version of Skype from their website. I deleted the app and re-downloaded three times already and the same thing keeps happening. I'm not having trouble installing or running any other apps, just Skype.

I've tried googling for help, but the only advice I've come across is "right click and hit 'open' from the context menu" :|

That doesn't help me at all. Anyone know what could be wrong?

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I don't mean to laugh at your predicament but that error message is so poetic.

Skype has been "damaged" ever since Microsoft bought the company years ago.

Have you tried rebooting? I'm wondering if you might have RAM problems; memory issues can corrupt files as they are downloaded/copied. Apple's code signing can detect modifications to executables and will prevent execution if so.

3. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

Yeah, I have rebooted and I have also tried 4 earlier versions of Skype.

How can the same thing be happening with 5 different freshly downloaded disk images?

Is it possible that there's some tiny Skype file somewhere that needs to be deleted? There is no Skype folder in my Application Support directory. Where else should I look?

4. Palladium macrumors member

There is almost certainly nothing wrong with your Skype. You have the default Mavericks setting not to permit downloads from non-Apple or non-identified sources. When you do download such an item, that is the error message you get, preventing you from opening the app. Just go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy and change the setting to allow downloads from any source. Then Skype will open (you may need to download it again). After it is working, you can change the setting back for fuller protection.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

You don't need to download it again.

6. Bruno09, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Did you try opening Skype in another account ?

What happens there ?

Could you please confirm that when you say "every time I try to open Skype" you mean that you try launching the application Skype located in your Applications folder ?
    Or do you mean that you are try opening a disk image ?

7. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

That worked, thank you! I've seen the "You are attempting to open an application from an unidentified developer" message before, but because I kept getting this much different "It's corrupt. Throw it in the trash" error, I didn't think to check my privacy settings.

Call me crazy, but I think the user deserves to receive error messages that are relevant to the problem.

8. viizi macrumors regular

I have had this once before a few months ago, the only way is to redownload it. Seems something inside the actual app gets screwed up. Microsoft make skype so don't be too surprised :)

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Read the posts above.

10. viizi macrumors regular

didn't have time to do so at the time that I replied. I figured if it had been fixed or ruled out, it wouldn't do any damage reading my reply. Better than not saying anything, especially if what I had to say was the fix? Right ;)

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

My point was that your comment on "the only way is to redownload it" is incorrect. After the user has downloaded it, he/she can go to Sys Pref and enable Allow from Anywhere under Security. Opening the app after making this change will allow the app to work. No reason to redownload it.

12. viizi macrumors regular

So you are saying that because I was wrong, I shouldn't have tried to help? Think about that, if the world was like that no one would speak up and nothing would get done. Anyway, you've bored the crap out of me so, see ya!

13. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

You need to go into your Mac preferences and change your 'open files from' menu to 'downloaded from anywhere'.

This will fix your issue completely.

14. Alrescha macrumors 68020

"The only thing worse than no information is bad information."

15. viizi, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

viizi macrumors regular

and who judged that my info was bad? It worked for me twice with the exact problems demonstrated that the OP claimed. Ta ta