Skype is horrendous!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 87am, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 87am macrumors regular

Is it just me or does the current Skype application for mac suck realllly bad? I have the new quad core MBP and using this app alone uses a crazy amount of CPU causing the fans yo max out at 6k and the CPU temps to hit 185 F. Is the programming just obnoxiously poor? I just cant understand it requiring such processing power when ichat or facetime dont even come close to it. WTF skype!

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Are you on the 5.0 beta? Any video chat client is going to heat your mbp up. 185 isnt too bad anyway. Check to see that your mbp is properly ventilated. The computer has to capture the image, then encode it while receiving new video. All video chat apps are demanding. I've noticed this on Skype, iChat, Facetime, ect.

3. 87am thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is properly ventilated. I used the "old" version of skype on a 3 year old macbook. But this new redesign on a new 4 core porcessor seems very innefiecient. Granted I know its intensive, but it seems wrong that is seems more taxing then when I play Starcraft 2.

4. Troon macrumors regular

Troon

I DL the new Skype for mac update today. And all my contacts have gone from the list on the left of the skype window. Has anyone got any ideas how to get them back?

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I hate the new skype. Makes my computer so hot and fans up all the way. I just run it on ipad now while I"m on the computer and just chat via the mic from there lol