Skype is now limited to Wi-FI

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Apr 14, 2009.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

B2 I was making Skype calls over 3g without issue. Today after updating to b3 not so much.

2. djourd macrumors member

3. garethjs macrumors 6502

Its not beta 3. Just so happens there was a new update of the Skype App at the same time. It's restricted by Skype not beta 3.

4. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I was able to make calls via a 3G connection after installing the skype update on beta 2. It was not until I installed beta 3 that I was limited to wifi.

This post was an answer to my question earlier if skype still worked on 3G after the skype update. I wouldn't have installed it otherwise. Note that this user states they are using edge:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...12&postcount=6

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

New version is 1.0.2. So we shouldn't update?

6. tasset macrumors 6502a

The loophole must have been within Beta2. I have the original release of Skype on Beta 3 and calls won't work over 3G now

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

give it some time. after 3.0 is released i'm sure another hack will come out.

after all - if we can crack Apple's firmware, and programs like photoshop - i'm sure fooling skype wouldn't be too hard

8. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

apple has gimped the iphone yet again.... So much for "there is an app for that" :rolleyes:

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Pretty sure pressure to stop VoIP apps from running over 3G will be coming from the carriers rather than Apple. It's their revenue stream/networks that get hit with masses of VoIP traffic.

10. knight42 macrumors newbie

Will be intresting to see what happens here in the UK. o2 have the lock on the iphone, but 3 (rival network) have some sort of partnership with Skype that actually allows you to use Skype over their 3G network. Shame, Apple may have gone with the wrong provider here in respect of Skype-but saying that 3 are rubbish in their customer support!

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

There will be backlash and if consumers feel strongly enough about it and lobby the government, there's nothing Apple & Carriers can do...at least here in Europe.

Its seems carriers have more power/monopoly in the US

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Just as an FYI, you can still use Skype over 3G and Edge on a jailbroken iphone.

13. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

WinMo phones can run skype over 3g. This makes me wonder if the iphone's slingplayer will be forced to only work on wifi?

14. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Yes, and apple is trying to outlaw jailbreaking. If I get an iphone, I guess I will have to jailbreak it... Sad that you have to jump thru hoops on items you pay for... :rolleyes:

15. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

Skype update with VoipOver3g

Does anyone know if the Skype update breaks this?

Vic

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Couldn't agree with you more. It's our phone so we should be able to do what we want with it as long as we aren't breaking any laws (and I'm not talking about "Apple" laws here either:p).

Read my post a couple of posts up from here.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're not breaking a law, but by running Skype on 3G you're breaking your contract with AT&T and they're free to drop you.

Everyone gets all high and mighty about this..."It's MY phone and I paid for it!" Great, use it on your home wi-fi, then.

But you're talking about using AT&T's towers now, so you're going to play by their rules. Apple and the iPhone and the law have NOTHING to do with that. Your beef is with AT&T. Switch to AllTel or something if you want to send them a message.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I concur; if they can pry my dead cold fingers from my JB 3G iPhone, then they can legally have it.....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's anything in my user agreement that explicitly forbids Skype over 3G. I know there's some stuff in there about torrents and whatnot but they took a lot of crap when they said they were going to be banning SlingPlayer and the like. I don't think that language is in the user agreement.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The language is basically written to let them block pretty much anything they want to and get away with it.

I'm not saying that's right, but I AM saying that I signed a deal with a company that:
    A) Has the power to block stuff like this
    and
    B) Has a reason to want to block stuff like this

So I'd be pretty naive to be surprised when it happens, now wouldn't I? I don't like it either, but I refuse to get all upset and shocked about something that's was obviously going to happen.

I mean, if I eat moldy food and get sick, I blame myself. Not the food.

21. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

appe/at+t have banned slingplayer for iphone?

22. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

a week or so ago att decided to update their terms of service to prohibit redirecting of tv. they then quickly changed their mind after the internet rage attack that followed.

23. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Aye, so the million dollar question still remains: will at+t allow slingplayer to stream via 3g on iphone as it does for WinMo phones?

24. diemos macrumors 6502

25. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Maybe it was expected by you but not to others. I guess that will be another reason to jailbreak or go with a different fone...