Skype kills webcam

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by woolyback, Jan 24, 2011.

1. woolyback macrumors regular

I have a late 2007 MacBook and have noticed recently that after running Skype my webcam no longer works until I restart the laptop.

I can then iChat again until the next time Skype is used, after which I'm again told that the camera isn't connected (in photobooth to test it's not just iChat).

Everything's upto date so I was curious if anyone else has had this problem (wouldn't appear so from searching) and if so, what did you do?

And I cant take it into a store under warranty as AppleCare has expired.

2. bastifantasti macrumors newbie

Yes I have experienced this issue. It is software related, and independent of your mac model. I'm not sure why skype does this, but it's like it takes control of the webcam and doesn't return this control when skype is excited.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

I have never seen this on any of my Macs. Have you tried the latest Skype beta?

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

doesn't happen to my '07 macbook. What has happened w/ mine is that going from fullscreen to small it might freeze the computer and give me an error (happens once every 2 months or so) I use skype everyday!

5. woolyback thread starter macrumors regular

Coincidentally, I saw that Skype had come out of beta and downloaded the formal release and that seems to have done the trick (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the replies :)