Skype Launches Redesigned Desktop App With Cross-Device Functionality Between iOS and macOS

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2017.

1. josehill macrumors newbie

josehill

I tried using the new Skype, and it really was a pretty miserable experience. I just reverted back to version 7.x today. Aside from a few bugs, version 8.x seemed to take more steps to do basic telephony tasks, and support for doing things by keyboard seems to have been reduced by quite a bit. I've been maintaining a Skype phone number and calling plan for many years as my business VOIP number, and I've been very happy with it. The old Skype version 7.x had been working great for team collaboration, but version 8 makes that more difficult, too. If the version 8 client is where Skype is heading, I guess it's time to start exploring other options. Perhaps a Google Voice number + Hangouts will do the trick.

2. old john macrumors member

Wow, thanks bobnugget, I've just used that link and it's a great relief to be back on version 7! I expect your post has helped others too.

3. Kristin Zhivago macrumors newbie

Kristin Zhivago

--- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2017 ---
    Bob, thank you so much! I was so disappointed when Microsoft bought Skype, cuz i knew what would happen next. It would become unusable. And, true to form...the new "and improved" Skype doesn't even let you see your favorites by name, just nameless icons. And everything is more cumbersome. Sad. The "classic" link worked great and I am back to a more usable app. Thanks again.

4. waternymph macrumors newbie

waternymph

5. Kristin Zhivago macrumors newbie

Kristin Zhivago

I totally agree. I reverted back to the "classic" version (thanks again, Bob!), where I could see the NAMES of my favorites listed on the left rather than useless "phone" icons that meant nothing; and can dial out more conveniently and search for people more easily. You could write a whole book chapter on "how to ruin an application" with the two versions. Hmmmm. I may just do that...