Skype not functioning on new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AngryBlonde, Oct 19, 2018.

1. AngryBlonde macrumors newbie

I bought a new 27" iMac a couple of months ago. OS is High Sierra v10.13.6. Wireless keyboard and mouse. Skype version is 8.32.0.44. Other than Skype, I have had no other issues with existing software.

Ever since I've had this computer I am having issues with Skype. When I attempt to talk on Skype the other person's voice continually cuts out making it impossible to have a conversation. I do not use video and the problem exists whether the other person uses video or not.

Anyone else experienced this? Could there be interference from the wireless keyboard and/or mouse? I am at a loss as to what I should be looking at. My searches have turned up too many dead ends.

2. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

One thing for sure is that you will need a decent network connection to have good quality calls.

You should look at your network connection and improve if you can.

If you are using Wi-Fi, see if you can connect via a LAN cable.

Maybe something is downloading in the background, or maybe someone else is chewing up the bandwidth with Netflix or whatever ?

If your Mac is busy doing something else at the same time and you're low on RAM maybe the CPU is busing paging to the drive.

The Skype Echo / Sound test service is useful for verifying things.

3. AngryBlonde, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

AngryBlonde thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I've always used the LAN cable for this new iMac and the old one. I have 32GB RAM and I had already closed all programs based on things I read elsewhere. My router/modem setup hasn't changed. My old iMac had only 4GB RAM and it didn't have this problem.

I discovered that my Skype audio/video settings weren't explicitly set as Plantronics headphone/mic so I changed those and did the Echo Sound test a couple of times and everything was clear. However, that test is only testing me talking and not someone talking to me so I doubt that is going to change anything. Until I speak with someone I won't know if there is a difference. From what I'm told, my voice isn't cutting out. Only the voice of the person I'm talking to does. This has occurred with multiple people so that indicates the problem is on my side. Also, they've stated that I'm the only one they have the problem with.

4. netdudeuk macrumors 6502