Skype on 3.0 GM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonywalker23, Jun 14, 2009.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

I am going to the Philippines this Thursday (1 day after the 3.0 should be available). I'm wondering if I should download it Wednesday night before I leave because I need Skype to work so I can call me wife back home (without paying att $3 a min). I'm assuming if I download 3.0 and it breaks Skype I won't be able to go back to 2.2.1?

I've searched online and I get answers ranging from 'Skype doesn't work in 3.0' to 'Skype works over edge and 3G in 3.0.'

So if anyone using the gold master that uses Skype could help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Skype is working fine under 3.0.
    If you want to make voice calls - you must use WiFi.
    Even if you *could* use 3G, international data charges are so high, it would cost more than a regular phonecall.

C.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I thought I read somewhere that Apple gave developers an ultimatum to test their apps and update, if needed, for 3.0, or the app would be pulled from the store.

I can see some small time apps getting broken but I'd think money maker devs like Skype would be ready to go on Day One. They've had the dev kit for a few months.

4. iSaga macrumors regular

Skype was just as well on 3.0 as it did on 2.2.1, which is pretty darn good.

5. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Made several phone calls with Skype on 3.0 this weekend. Works fine.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Skype quality over 3G

I've posted this several times in the "Hacks" forum but haven't gotten much of a response so I figured I'd post it here as well. My Skype quality over 3G has been terrible - people on the other end complain that they can't hear me because I'm breaking up. Anyway, can any fellow jailbreakers please try a test call in Skype over 3G? (there's a test call option within the app) When it comes time for you to record a message, just start counting from 1-20 (or however high you get before it cuts you off). When I do it and my message is played back to me, I can't hear several of the numbers. I'm going to assume that everyone else is going to have the same problem, but I'd really appreciate it if a few of you could try it and let me know your results.

7. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

For me, Skype will not make a call over 3G. I get a box explaining contractual reasons prevent Skype from doing this.

As I understand it TruPhone *will* work over 3G - and offers some similar features.

C.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I assume you're not jailbroken, right? It will only work over 3g if your phone is jailbroken.

9. brownbw macrumors newbie

worked for me in Europe, but on WiFi. I did the pay monthly plan for $3 on skype, then cancelled with I got back. Everyone said the sound quality was just as good or even better than normal phone calls.