Skype on iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Penny's Geek, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Penny's Geek macrumors member

Is anyone here using Skype on the iPod Touch? I'm considering dropping a cell phone line and using my iPod Touch with Skype so I'd love to hear others experience with it. How is the voice quality? Did you have to buy any headphones with a mic? Any special software requirements besides installing skype from the app store?

Really interested to know everyone's experience with this.

PG

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

My buddy's got it on his iPod touch. He says the call quality is decent - sometimes it was amazing, and a few times it was sub-par.

He was going to drop his cellphone contract too but I reminded him that he'd need constant connection to Wi-Fi (ex. Going to friend's house, party, new building - you're screwed). For some people it's fine, but I'd think unless you have Wi-Fi EVERYWHERE you go, it's not a fair trade. Granted, people don't get a cellphone signal everywhere they go, but it's usually more likely you'll get a cell signal everywhere as opposed to getting Wi-Fi everywhere.

Also, texting people would be a bitch because people would have your Skype number and have to text you through your e-mail or something other method.

3. Penny's Geek thread starter macrumors member

I'm one of the few people out there that doesn't use texting so I can do without that. As far as needing WIFI everywhere I would agree but even without that....the sheer cost of your cell phone service would make this a no-brainer wouldn't it? I mean that's the beauty of skype, computer to computer is free and only a small fee (or so I understand) to call a regular number. Doesn't that in itself make this a smarter option?
    PG

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's definitely the more economical option (Skype on the touch) but "smarter" depends on your situation.

Do what my buddy ending up trying, one weekend, he turned off/left his cellphone home and visited me at college. He got lost on the way here and he couldn't call me (until he drove for 20 minutes in the wrong direction and got Wi-Fi from a McDonald's). And by the next day, he regretted it.

So if you want to commit, I would try not using your cellphone for a couple days and only using the Skype (buy some credit for making non-computer calls). If it works out, great - you should cancel your cell.

5. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

If the rumors about the new Touch having a built in Mic are true, then if could essentially become a VoIP or Skype phone. I get Wifi most of the time (during school I'm on campus and there is Wifi everywhere). I figured once my mobilbe contract is up I would use the iPod with Skype and get a prepaid phone from somewhere else and leave it off unless I'm going off campus for longer than a few hours.

I'm hoping I'll be able to use Google Voice with my iPod Touch. That would be fantastic. Just put my number on the phone with a mobile signal whenever I need it.

6. fannin269 macrumors newbie

Apple's new 3.0 operating system does not support Skype on iPod Touch.

My two-month-old Skype account worked flawlessly before the 'upgrade.'

Now, it's very marginal. Features disabled. Reliability significantly worse.

Plainly, Skype and Apple/AT&T are NOT natural business allies.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

COnsidering my house is the only place i go i get free wifi, there is no way i could do it.

I think i could be jealous of you guys with a lot of hotspots to give almost unlimited coverage! LOL!!

8. sonicalpha macrumors newbie

sonicalpha

Erm... yes it does. I use it all the time o_0

9. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the best microphone/headphone combination to use on the iPod Touch for Skype?

10. sonicalpha macrumors newbie

sonicalpha

I use the Apple headphones with the built in remote/mic.

11. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    and if you upgrade the 2nd gen touch to 3.0 $10 it unlocks bluetooth!!
    pretty cool for using skype without wires!!

12. California macrumors 68040

California

does skype work with 3.0 or not? Anyone know?

13. blackrose macrumors newbie

14. nephilim7 macrumors regular

while this is technically true, the bluetooth support is limited and only supports stereo headphone out from the touch. The headset mic/earphone profile is not supported. So you can use a bluetooth headset to listen to music, but not as a microphone.

I feel the best mic/headset combo is apple's in-ear model (~$79 USD). I got it because the $30 ones use the same lame earpiece as the ones that come with the ipod and are horrible.

I use skype every day, it's a great app.

works great on 3.0

15. nbkghostly macrumors newbie

One option...

...is to drop your home internet and your cell phone and use Clear My-FI (3g/4g Wireless hotspot) which would give you internet everywhere you go. If you are not in a Clear covered area there is the Sprint version of this which gives you 3g access nationwide (4G access in supported areas, soon to be nationwide).:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/sprint-launches-two-3g4g-hot-spot-routers

:D

16. hajime macrumors 68030

How about getting a cellphone for making calls almost everywhere and taking photos/videos. In addition, use Skype on iPod Touch? I am considering this option. I heard that the iPhone sound quality is not so good. How is it compared with Skype on iPod Touch?