Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is there some way i can have a working Skype version on my Powerbook that uses Leopard?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Of course there is. Download the latest version for PowerPC (2.8) and follow these steps. Skype should be up and working in no time. Everything except webcam chat support at least.

Attachments

• g.png
    g.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 111

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Of course there is. Download the latest version for PowerPC (2.8) and follow these steps. Skype should be up and working in no time. Everything except webcam chat support at least.
But i thought that Skype would stop supporting Mac OS prior Snow Leopard, isn't this correct?
Can you please pin point me to the latest PowerPc version? :eek:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So there is no video or voice ability, did i get this right?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I did everything described but Skype will not connect to server, how can i check if all that i did are correct?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Microsoft discontinued support for the older clients a few months ago. It is possible for a hack to be applied to falsify the version number and allow it to sign on.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
at step 4 you say " Add this -" what is that minus symbol about?

has anyone used this solution? is it working?

Last edited:

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Is there some way i can have a working Skype version on my Powerbook that uses Leopard?

If you are talking to another Mac user with Skype, I would use iChat instead. As for talking to those who don't have any other choice but Skype, support is dwindling as we speak. Read others' posts, but I wanted to mention this because iChat is far superior... if only they had iChat for Windows.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If you are talking to another Mac user with Skype, I would use iChat instead. As for talking to those who don't have any other choice but Skype, support is dwindling as we speak. Read others' posts, but I wanted to mention this because iChat is far superior... if only they had iChat for Windows.

They do have an AIM client for Windows if you go that route.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
thanx for the alternative but iChat will not work on Leopard also, or am i wrong?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
thanx for the alternative but iChat will not work on Leopard also, or am i wrong?

Oh, it definitely does. iChat was introduced in around 2003 or so, way before Leopard. Macs still technically have it, although it became intertwined with 'Messages' as of Mountain Lion. MacOSX comes with iChat, and I am running it on my Leopard machine as I type this.

----------

This is what i was saying about ichat not working in Leopard

That's OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, not Leopard. Also, that must have been some sort of error/mishap. iChat wouldn't NOT work with a certain MacOSX version; it's Apple's own product for MacOSX. I have iChat on my Panther machines, Tiger machines, Leopard machines, and Snow Leopard machine. I'd really recommend it though; it was the first time anyone had ever gotten video chat, audio chat, etc. to just simply work! :) Even today, things like the AIM application have a very primitive video chatting option. Many clients today still don't even have the option because it's difficult to do. iChat implements the usefulness of AIM messaging with iChat and its awesome features. You can send images so that they appear right in the window, w/o some URL; you can share your friend's screen (and be able to control the mouse) or vice versa; you can even send files over it! Admittedly, I used to screen share with my friend so I could play Sims 3 from his computer, as he watched xD

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I don't understand how can iChat work using my name, since i have not entered any info?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What do you mean? You do realize that you have a contact card in Address Book or Contacts in later versions of OS X with that information?
I dont think so. Where is that information in Address book cause i cant find it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.