Skype over 3G with Rogers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calvinc, Aug 28, 2010.

1. calvinc macrumors member

I have been reading different forums and I seem to be getting conflicting information. If someone can clear things up for me that would be great. Thank you.

1) Can I use Skype over 3G? I am with Rogers.

2) If "yes" to the above question, does that mean the talk time won't be deducted from my voice plan?

Thanks a lot.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Skype uses your data plan, so unless you have the 6gb data plan then don't bother and stick to WiFi.

You will not be deducted any minutes from your Rogers plan but your data usage will rise. So unless you have the 6gb data plan stick to WiFi for Skype calling. If you aren't a heavy talker then you should be fine on 3G with the 6gb plan.

3. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

draz is right.

You can use Skype over 3G with Rogers and those calls wont use your minutes, instead, it uses data.

4. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

not really 6gb needed

OP it all depends how much YOU use the app when calling/answering in 3G (when just in background it consumes but not too much):

Here is actual average mins to data consumption (THIS IS 2-WAY VOICE ONLY CALLS-If they bring video calls it would be more):
    1 min call (@70kbps)= 0.5 MB of bandwitdh
    10 min= 5 MB
    100min= 50 MB
    but remember these #'s are not definite since it depends on the state of supernodes and P2P clouding which tend to change constantly... also I don't think we in 3G on the iphone become supernodes....

if you are basically constantly answering/calling on skype then you need higher data plans if not go lower. Try to check your normal 3G usage after a month or two and then decide how much you need of data....