Skype over AIM for iChat?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    I'd like to ichat with my family. I have a 2007, 24" Al iMac, 2.4GHz, running SL 10.6.2.
    I have AIM w/Adium set up on my iMac (but have never used it).
    My family is all PC/Windows using Skype.
    Does anyone here use Skype for iChat? Is it compatible? Any thing I should know before downloading it?
    Thanks for any advice/help. I'm new at this and not real sure what I'm doing, TBH.

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't think Skype and iChat are compatible. Just download and use Skype.

3. grosslyclever macrumors member

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Skype and iChat are not compatible.

iChat is the best out there for quality. It allows up to 4 to converse via video at the same time. However, it takes power and bandwidth. Many times ADSL/Cable connections will have dropouts.

Skype works well. Only can video chat between 2 individuals. Works much better in low bandwidth situations than iChat. Easy to use with PC friends since there is a Skype client for both platforms.

Also, if you chat a lot via text, and need a paper trail for business purposes, Skype is much better.

OP, my suggestion is to DL and install Skype and use it to talk with your Skype using family and friends.

5. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks to all!

I really appreciate the info offered here. I have d/led Skype and will give it a whirl with my Windows relatives.