Skype problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrkramer, Nov 18, 2010.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I use Skype a lot to call people back at home as I am currently out of the country and it's the cheapest way to call the US from here. It was working fine up until recently, when the quality of the calls went down. Now, It will work for about 5 seconds at a time and then the sound will be very distorted and unintelligible. Also sometimes I can hear people fine and they can't hear me or sometimes it will be the other way around. I think it started around the time I upgraded from 10.6.3 to 10.6.5, I don't think that would have anything to do with it, but that's the only change I can think of.

I was running the most recent version of Skype when it started, but I've since upgraded to the version 5 beta to see if that would fix it but it didn't.
    Any suggestions for fixing it? I know it's not my internet because I have a friend who is able to use his computer to talk on skype over the same connection.

2. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

So I did a permissions repair, a couple of reboots, and reinstalled the previous version of skype and it seems to be working better now. Still no idea why it was happening.

3. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I'm looking forward to their next update (Skype). Their audio quality is horrible, with a constant ringing sound in the background.