Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Hi, I have Skype set to open when I start my iMac, and use the "compact" screen mode. I like to move it over to the right side of the screen while I'm working, and was wondering if there is a way to permanently "pin" the program there so it returns to the same location each time I turn on the computer. Unlike my desktop icons, Skype always reverts to its original location, which is more towards the center of the screen. Any help would be appreciated.

hughvane

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
Do you mean the Contact list when you say "compact" view, and do you quit Skype before you shut down your computer, or do you just let Finder quit it for you on shutdown? Either way, Finder should 'remember' where the "compact" window of Skype was last parked, and reopen it there.

However, when a caller window becomes active with an incoming call, by default it appears in centre screen. You need to shift it to the side, and as long as Skype is active thereafter, any new calls should also appear at the side. I don't think it will be there next time you start your computer though.

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Yes, it's compact view for Contacts. And Finder shuts it down. But still, it reopens closer to the center of the screen and I like to move it to the very far right.

hughvane

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Yes, it's compact view for Contacts. And Finder shuts it down. But still, it reopens closer to the center of the screen and I like to move it to the very far right.

Okay, try quitting Skype with the window where you want it before shutting down your computer. I too like the contact window to one side, in my case the left, where the Dock is, so I can shrink it to the Dock, or close it.

raggedd

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
How can I compact Skype window (version 2.7)

Similar to this thread, but not quite the same. My Skype window opens briefly in compact, then extends full screen. I wish to keep it compact, showing contacts etc. How can this be done.

hughvane

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
My Skype window opens briefly in compact, then extends full screen. I wish to keep it compact, showing contacts etc. How can this be done.

Missed your post earlier, so if you've figured it out, ignore this. I've replicated your experience. When Skype opens to display the full screen, mouse-grab the bottom right corner of the window and resize it to what you want. Then close or quit Skype. Reopen it, and the display should be how you left it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.