Skype showing under devices

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wiggz, Jul 7, 2012.

1. wiggz macrumors newbie

Ok. So I have a couple questions as I am brand spanking new to mac. I recently purchased a 2012 Macbook Air 13". So far, I am absolutely loving this machine. I played with my roommates older macbook pro and decided to jump in.

So first things first. The first two things (only two things actually) that I have downloaded are norton antivirus (for a mac? yea... I paid 1200 for this thing I'm not taking ANY chances haha), and Skype. Now Norton has shown up on the "downloaded apps" page of launchpad from the get go. Skype does not show up under my apps at all and never has. Also, they both showed up as "devices" at first, but after I rebooted norton no longer does, but Skype still shows up under devices instead of as a downloaded program. Why is this and how do I fix it?

Next. There is a file for Skype labeled "Skype_5.8.0.865.dmg" I'm unsure if this is Skype itself or just the downloader for Skype or what. I want to keep all my downloads in a folder together though for organization but this and "Skype" both show up under applications in the finder. Although they do not show up in launchpad. Why is this? Also what kind of file is "Skype_5.8.0.865.dmg"? I ask because I would like to delete EVERYTHING that is unnecessary.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys provide. -wiggz

2. simsaladimbamba

The DMG file is a disk image, meaning you double click on it, thus mount it and it shows up in the Devices section like an external HDD or USB flash memory thumb drive or CD or DVD.
    Look here for install instructions: Installing Applications in Mac OS X

As for AV software: I use Mac OS X since 2004 and never installed any kind of malware on my Mac, even without the use of AV software.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. wiggz thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome. thanks a lot. I love learning about this machine