Skype stops working after 20 mintues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by raquel2010, Jan 11, 2011.

1. raquel2010 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!

Skype stops working after 20 minutes - the other person can hear me fine, but I cant understand a word the other person is saying (very digitalized). This doesn't happen on the PC so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the MAC. Does anyone have the same problem? Any ideas how to solve it? Thanks so much!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Does the problem persist after you restart your computer? Does it persist if the person at the other end restarts their computer?

3. raquel2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can restart the computer and it still continues. I really don't understand much about computers, but I have a feeling that it could be something that's been set that way - could the cookies have something to do with it? I don't know -it doesn't happen on the PC... only on the MAC...

4. thetravelbeast macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact problem. Did you ever find a solution?

5. Scrumper macrumors member

Scrumper

I have also been having this problem with my MacBook and, like the OP, noticed that this didn't happen on a PC. The problem was exactly as described: after precisely 20 minutes, the audio I was hearing became distorted, choppy and corrupted so much that I couldn't understand a word. Meanwhile, my contact was seeing and hearing me perfectly.

Well I have just found a work-around which has so far worked well for me. A lot of "googling" pointed me towards a file called "shared.xml" which is found in: Home > Library > Application Support > Skype. I found that if I shut down Skype, deleted the shared.xml file (it gets recreated every time) and then relaunched Skype, my perfect two-way audio would come back...for another 20 minutes!

It's not a solution, as I still have to do that every 20 minutes but it does mean that with short interruptions I can continue indefinitely. Today I successfully had a 3-hour conversation using this method.

The problem now is to find out why this happens in the first place and how can it be solved completely. Hope that helps a little for now anyway. :)