Skype vs Facetime - Will it be fully utilized on the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TZRaceR6, Jun 12, 2010.

1. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

I'm wondering if Skype will be fully utilized on the iPhone 4 and allow you to call anyone with Skype and use the front facing camera for a vid call a la home computer?

Another option for vid calls instead of just Facetime and you don't have to be on WiFi either.

Just a thought.

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

it could be apple probably would open the api for integrating the front camera. after that its up to the company that makes the app. im sure if able aim and skype will do it.

3. androiphone macrumors 65816

yep if the API is there for the front camera then you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will do it pretty quickly so you can skype video call, my money would be on fring first as they are the ones that can do it on the symbian phones now. but I would be hoping that skype will do it officially quickly too.

4. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I wonder if BeeJive will follow suit and upgrade their app to use it as well.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

IIRC, the API for it is already open, so it is only a matter of doing the right open() or fopen() calls to the device the camera is on, and off you go. Everything facetime related is open, per their respective RFCs.

BL.

6. blaqink macrumors member

x2
    im hoping for this too as BeeJive is my favorite IM client

i won't even mind the Wi-Fi only restriction for now if the API was available to devs and I could video chat form my iPhone 4 to a computer. :)