Skype VS FaceTime.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tito Georgie, Jan 5, 2011.

?

Skype VS FaceTime

1. Will use FaceTime more over skype

38.6%
  2. Skype sets it for me, less FaceTime

61.4%
  1. Tito Georgie, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Skype is just what I needed to give use of video calls on my iPhone. I only know about 10 people I can FaceTime with & that was just after Christmas because a lot of my friends got the iPod touch 4G.

Now with skype I have a lot of friends to video call while they using windows.

FaceTime be less useful for me now.

who feels the same ?

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I use both. I like both. A lot!
    This may be contrary to what a lot of people experience, but I find FaceTime to be the smoothest of the video phone apps I've used. And I seem to be in an area with wifi coverage more often than not. But I DO love the fact that Skype allows you to use 3g. It's nice to have options!:)

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You don't need to set up an account to use FaceTime, even with am iPod touch you just have to log in. And iPhone requires no separate account.

4. Tito Georgie thread starter macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

It only takes two minutes max to make skype account o_O

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I didn't like Skype that much, I would rather use Tango before Skype. I hope Apple opens up FaceTime that way I can get rid of Tango, Skype and Yahoo instant messenger

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Wife just got her a iPhone 4. So we decided to do a little test on each and compare what we thought.

Facetime, over wifi of course, had superior video and audio. Skype had some lag and the video quality was slightly behind facetime. I'm guessing a codec, but could be wrong.

Skype, over wifi, worked fine. But in comparison to Facetime you could see it was of less quality. While it worked ok, we both agreed that if Facetime was available we wouldn't use Skype.

We tried Skype over 3G, and it worked ok. You could see and hear the issues of being on a slower network. But it was better than nothing. The audio seemed to be better quality than the video.

So our choice is:
    Facetime over skype if you can get wifi. If not...use Skype.

FYI..we are in Dallas and have excellent 3G coverage. No drop calls, etc.

7. jtgamer macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

For me, skype will be replacing FaceTime. I dont really have any use for FaceTime, plus the majority of people I know uses skype anyway

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

For me the only people I know that use skype mostly are my son and his same age friends. Some of our family, and a lot of our friends have iPhones. Thats why we'll use facetime more. No special registration needed.

But does this new version of Skype come out for Android too? I think that would really open the flood gates.
    But again, I also think Apple needs to release a facetime app for android.
    Yeah, I'm a dreamer.

9. Small White Car, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Exactly what I'm doing. I like Facetime better if I have that option, but when I'm on 3G I'll switch to using Skype.

I mean, I spent a lot of time getting my friends to set up Facetime on their iPhones and Macbooks. I don't want to go around AGAIN telling everyone to get Skype. I Skype with my wife, but other than that I'll stick with Facetime for my friends and just wait 'till I'm on Wifi to call them. There's only so many times I can make everyone sign up for something new.

10. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Pretty easy decision. Everyone I know uses Skype, but hardly anyone uses FaceTime.

11. deadkennedy macrumors 6502

Have to agree with most of the others. About 90% of people I talk to use Skype, while only 10% have iOS or Mac.

12. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

No one I video-conference with uses Facetime. So it is skype for me.

13. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

FaceTime has far superior quality. Just sayin'. ;)

14. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i prefer skype...only know a handful of people with facetime.

15. Tito Georgie thread starter macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Any oovoo users ? Oovoo video calling is set to be realesed for iPhone this month..

16. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

If I can Facetime with a good friend that has OS or iP4/iT4, then I'll Facetime. Better quality, better audio, and it's faster. But I use Skype with anyone who has a webcam and Skype (which is alot more) They're both good though

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

When it comes to quality, it's FaceTime. No comparison. When it comes to being able to being able to do video calls with people that don't have iOS/Macs, Skype. Pretty clear, to me.