skype????

xwk88

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
does skype need to get any ports forwarded or does it work fine with out that because I've heard it is supposed to be phone quality voice conversation but mine is kind of crappy so if you guys know what ports I should forward. thanks on any help. by the way I know it's not my internet connection I have like the fastest net connection available on my area it's cable and it should be able to give at least good skype connection and if I turn any thing else that takes up bandwidth then i hear ever other word if I'm luky.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
xwk88 said:
does skype need to get any ports forwarded or does it work fine with out that because I've heard it is supposed to be phone quality voice conversation but mine is kind of crappy so if you guys know what ports I should forward. thanks on any help. by the way I know it's not my internet connection I have like the fastest net connection available on my area it's cable and it should be able to give at least good skype connection and if I turn any thing else that takes up bandwidth then i hear ever other word if I'm luky.
I use skype all the time, to talk to family down in Florida. It sounds like we are in the same room.

We love it, and best of all, It's Free.

I just use the built in mic on my Powerbook, and put a pair of headphones on to hear them, and everything sounds crystal clear!.

Kilchzimmer

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2002
Switzerland (from US)
check number of Skypers online...

xwk88 said:
...mine is kind of crappy so if you guys know what ports I should forward. thanks on any help. by the way I know it's not my internet connection I have like the fastest net connection available on my area it's cable and it should be able to give at least good skype connection and if I turn any thing else that takes up bandwidth then i hear ever other word if I'm luky.
I've seen a noticable degrading of quality and voice delay when a larger number of Skyers are logged on. This stat is shown on the Skype screen. Avoiding these peak times will help. Sounds like Skype needs to upgrade their systems to handle the large growth in registered users. ...hope they don't make the mistake of AOL. :mad:

I use my PB with Skype but have avoided using the built-in mic because it picks up the fan noise.

I've been plugging a mic through my imic (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/) and quality has been great for the person at the other end.

I use Skype regularly with my work and have called to all corners of the globe (literally). computer-to-computer and computer-to-phone.

- Tim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.