Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hotrod351, Oct 17, 2013.

1. hotrod351 macrumors 6502

hotrod351

just installed skype on my macpro and macbook pro. problem im having is connecting between them. keeps asking for a credit. not sure but was under the impression that connecting from one computer to another was free with skype, as long as both had skype. end up using face time. is skype just hype. is skype just another program that only wants money.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I never had an issue connecting from one computer to another using Skype. I don't think Skype is "hype." In fact, I've only used Skype for free, quite successfully mind you.

Can you be specific with what settings you used? It seems odd that you were asked for money.

3. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

im logged into skype on both my macpro and macbook pro, yet it will say the other is offline. also am i not suppose to be able to connect just by email address form one computer to another, it keeps wanting to connect by phone number. am i missing a skype id number im suppose to be using.

4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to call a Skype account from itself?

I'm pretty sure you need to have two different accounts, one on each computer. Then you need to add the accounts on to each others contact list and you'll be good to go.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

6. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

my macpro has my account and the macbook pro is my wife's. so yes two different accounts.

7. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

well i cant figure out what im doing wrong. my desktop shows that my wifes computer, and her, are online, hers shows that im online, i video call and nothing, it just rings and rings and rings on the computer im sending from but no notice on the other that a incoming call is there.

8. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Just out of curiosity, why bother with Skype when you are using two Macs that have FaceTime? Is there something about FaceTime that you find lacking and which Skype is better at?

I chat sometimes with my sister hundreds of miles away using FaceTime. She is on an iPad and I'm on an iMac. It works great.

I've been meaning to install Skype actually and try it since one of my daughters has a Windows PC with Skype but of course not FaceTime. I keep telling her she needs a Mac but that's another story for another thread. ;)

9. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

figured skype was good because every one doesnt have a mac, i know its hard to believe, but its true. agree face time has a better picture just figured id get skype working too. for me face time is a sure app, skype might work better if the other mac i was talking to was on a different provider. either way im good.

10. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

That makes sense. Well, hopefully Skype will work alright for you in trying to contact those poor folks who don't have an Apple. Hopefully it will for me too when I get around to it.

11. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

oh it will work out. we all have to give something back when we are blessed with so much (APPLE). after all if we can show our compassion to those with so little (windows) then we get them pointed down the right path (APPLE) and they too will see the light = ( BIG APPLE LOGO).