Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
I hope I'm putting this in the right place!

Has anyone ever tried this service? Skype says it's only in beta testing and I searched the forums and it doesn't seem anyone's talked about it at all. I'm probably going to drop the €30 for it and see how it does because it seems like the perfect solution to the whole "trying to receive calls w/o an international call charge" issue.

I will add to this once I figure out a bit more about the service...I hope it works!

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Skype & Credit Cards

I know there was much ado about Skype and credit card charges made earlier this year. I recently purchased some SkypeOut credit with my VISA and it seems to have gone through smoothly without any trouble. I'll admit to being worried when I put the transaction through, but I got my credit and have used some of it. I'm still waiting for my credit card statement to make sure I didn't get hosed. Anyway, on the face of it, it seems like they've ironed out whatever the trouble was.

I'm interested to know your experience with SkypeIn, since that's the next thing I'll be doing.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
rinseout said:
I know there was much ado about Skype and credit card charges made earlier this year. I recently purchased some SkypeOut credit with my VISA and it seems to have gone through smoothly without any trouble. I'll admit to being worried when I put the transaction through, but I got my credit and have used some of it. I'm still waiting for my credit card statement to make sure I didn't get hosed. Anyway, on the face of it, it seems like they've ironed out whatever the trouble was.

I'm interested to know your experience with SkypeIn, since that's the next thing I'll be doing.

Yeah, I don't blame you for being a bit concerned. I usually just use the PayPal service because I feel it's secure and after the problems that Mastercard has been having recently, I really don't want to risk a Skype card problem as well.

I think the SkypeOut works pretty well, though there are still a few things about it that need to be resolved (particularly with echo and degrading call quality).

The transaction for SkypeIn went very smoothly. I PayPaled my payment and within minutes (despite it saying it would take 30!) I had my shiny new American phone number :) Pretty nice stuff.

I had called my mum before getting it to make sure that the number I got is in her call package (she pays a certain amount each month for unlimited calls in her local area--i.e., this Skype thing is going to save A LOT of money).

We could only try out the service for a few minutes just in case my new number isn't in her package. It worked really nicely on the first go. I was expecting some unreasonable problem, but it just didn't happen. I got her call just fine, was able to hear her well and, in fact, she said that the echo she usually receives when I use SkypeOut was even less of a problem on the SkypeIn.

I'll put it to more extensive use in the upcoming week to make sure that it doesn't have any hugely compromising problem for longer calls, but all in all, I'm really quite pleased with the results so far. It's nice to be making my PB into this ultimate, unstoppable, centre of focus in my room. It's become my notebook, my television, my vcr, my dvd player and now my telephone!

I've yet to try to voicemail feature. That will most likely be tested out tomorrow. This Skype stuff is great though. It used to cost me £5.00 for 152 minutes, then £7.50 for close to 10 hours and now it may turn out to be even cheaper. The price can't be beaten really as long as your caller is willing to put up with a slight echo.

For reference, I use a BlueTrek bluetooth headset for my Skype and connect to the internet via Airport Express. I've found that so far, with the resources available to me, this offers the best quality connection. Using the internal microphone and a computer speaker seemed to offer the worst connection quality.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The problem is that you have to receive SkypeIn calls from your computer. I'm not online 100% of the time!

Its also not much cheaper than a international calling card. I already get around 400 minutes for $10 Aussie dollars, or around $7.5 USD.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
Abstract said:
The problem is that you have to receive SkypeIn calls from your computer. I'm not online 100% of the time!

Its also not much cheaper than a international calling card. I already get around 400 minutes for $10 Aussie dollars, or around $7.5 USD.

That is very true.

My computer is generally always on and online, so that works out. And my phone, since I live in halls, is locked to only one phone card. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother and would just use the phone card...lol.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
maybe it has something to do with my configuration and settings, but...

the sound quality of skypeout is not that good. (i have never heard of skypeIN), it shows that i haven't used skype for quite a while hmm? :)

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
I've got a SkypeIn and SkypeOut account.

I've only played with it a little bit but the SkypeIn seems to have some bugs in it that need some ironing out. When dialling the landline number the computer doesn't always ring. Sometimes the Skype app crashes if I call from my mobile phono. I can't really rely on it at the moment.

I have tried calling my virtual number from a telephone and it rings and rings then timesout and goes to voicemail. I am sitting in front of my laptop with Skype running in the foreground doing nothing.

It seems that Skype poles every so often but not as often as, say, MSN Messenger or iChat. If I put my laptop to sleep, move to another wifi location and open it up later, it still shows people logged on when I know they are not. If I try to call someone I get a ringing sound at my end but no one answers? I tried to connect to a laptop in the same house that was online and it didn't ring at their end but mine did. I changed my status of offline then back to online then tried again and it worked. This might be a sleep related issue.

The PC version does seem to be a little more robust IMO as I have it at work.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Oh before I forget, I tried to push today's technology.

I was out the other day with my PB connected to the Internet via my 3G mobile. With my SkypeOut account I then called my mobile to see what would happen. Well it rang... I answered it and talked to my laptop at the same time as it was connected to the Internet doing Skype! There was no discernable delay. I didn't expect it work but it did. As you can imagine I was getting a fair bit of feedback but the two mics were close.

I was still able to browse and check email during the call as well. I thought data transmission paused during a voice call.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have Swedish and American Skypein numbers. They both work fine, voicemail as well. There is sometimes delay, and it can be so unpleasant for one (but never both) of the people talking, that we end up hanging up and using iChat or a landline. But it works fine most of the time.

Drawbacks:

Skype has had HUGE problems with people making payments. Their forum is filled with angry, frustrated people who can't purchase their products with their credit cards. After some bad attempts with my various credit cards, I now only use PayPal on their site, and have never had a problem with it.

I got an American number with my folks' area code, specifically so they could call me wherever I was, and only pay local fees. That's the way it's supposed to work, but turns out it's not that simple. They have to dial the "1 - area code" in front of the number, which they otherwise don't do for local calls, and they are charged slightly more than for local calls. On the whole, though, they feel it's cheap enough to be worth it.

Delay can be a problem, for at least one end of the conversation. I've been told that if both use USB headsets or phones, this is greatly diminshed, but I haven't tried it myself.

Advantages:

The voicemail is clear.

The interface is good.

It's a very easy way to make sure people can get hold of you or leave you messages, regardless of where you are- as long as you are online.

On the whole, I'm pleased, and I'm gonna stick it out and see how the service progresses.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
skp574 said:
I was out the other day with my PB connected to the Internet via my 3G mobile. With my SkypeOut account I then called my mobile to see what would happen. Well it rang... I answered it and talked to my laptop at the same time as it was connected to the Internet doing Skype! There was no discernable delay. I didn't expect it work but it did. As you can imagine I was getting a fair bit of feedback but the two mics were close.

I was still able to browse and check email during the call as well. I thought data transmission paused during a voice call.
That's pretty cool, though 3G does give you a good amount of bandwidth compared to standard GPRS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.