Skyrim choppy on early MBP, but doesn't appear to be a FPS problem...

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MrEcted, Nov 19, 2011.

1. MrEcted, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

MrEcted macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have an early 2011 MBP and I recently downloaded Skyrim from Steam. I am able to obtain a decent frame rate when I set everything to low/medium, however the game is still very choppy. It doesn't really look like a frame rate issue to me though. When I pan around everything is nice and smooth, but when I walk it becomes very choppy, like my character is instantly moving 5 feet at a time, it's sort of hard to explain. To confirm that it's not a frame rate issue I used FRAPS to check out my FPS and it's usually well above 30. It seems like when I first start playing the game everything is smooth, but after a few minutes it will have this issue.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this? Is this a bug in the game?

My MBP uses integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics, I have all the latest drivers, and I'm running this on Win 7 64 via Bootcamp.

Thanks

EDIT
    Fixed! Thank GOD! I'm going to keep this up just in case somebody else searches a finds this post. The fix is simple, just use the FPS Limiter Mod. I am just using the default settings.

Only problem with this fix - full addiction has set in, before I could only handle the game in 20-30 minute sprints.

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

I'm using a Ciderized version, not Windows... I normally run with my Radeon 6750, but I did test it with the Intel HD 3000 and it runs horrid (comparatively, though you can make it playable), so I can understand some frustration. I'm going to try out that Mod as well, because I think even running maxed out graphics the frame rate is still too high and causing tons of heat. Usually limiting it like this can help lower heat.