SkyVoyager from Carina Software for free

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by LostLogik, Jul 18, 2009.

1. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Just found out that CarinaSoftware will be offering SkyVoyager, the pretty massive iPhone planetarium, for free in the AppStore on Monday July 20, in celebration of the moon landing 40 years ago. This is an amazing offer.

From their website (love copy/paste)
    SkyVoyager is a powerful planetarium program for the iPhone and iPod Touch. It is designed for both beginners and advanced users. It contains a database of 300,000 stars to 10th magnitude, and 30,000 deep sky objects, including the entire NGC and IC catalogs. It renders the planets and moons in detail, using NASA mission imagery, and includes a database of several hundred asteroids, comets, and artificial satellites.

(Furthermore, their Mac OS program SkyGazer will also be offered for free).

These have got to be worth nabbing on the day.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Do me a favor?
    Please bump this thread on Monday as a gentle reminder.

Thanks!

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Got the iPhone applications and I'm waiting for the Mac software to be switched to free. Thank you for posting this.

SKyGazer has also been changed to free.

The Voyager desktop astronomy software on their website has now been adjusted. It's not free but it is 1 cent The SkyGazer software says it's supposed to be 1 cent but their store is still charging. I've already downloaded Voyager.

5. Interpolation macrumors regular

Just bought the desktop version for 1 cent, but got no link to download the software. Hmmm.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I picked up both of the 1 cent desktop apps along with the iPhone app...cool stuff....:)

7. LostLogik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ditto. Although I've picked up the iPhone app w/out problem, I've yet to get a d/l link for the Mac s/w.

Edit: Found how to get a trial version, just waiting on registration details.

8. Interpolation macrumors regular

I'm just downloading the trial software. I assume they will send out the license later on today. hopefully.

Got the iphone app aswell. :)

9. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Site is updated and I'm downloading both SkyVoyager and Gazer as I type.

Big ups to see Carina Software offering apps of this calibre at stupendously excellent prices!

........nice to see Amateur Astronomy getting a boost with this soft of support from them, making their products accessible to those who possibly find the hobby a little expensive to get into.

....yeah, the wife and I star-gaze in our spare time........
    :D

10. Nabby macrumors regular

Great Tip

Thanks for sharing. I grabbed my copy and shared it with my dad, who is a big astronomy buff!

Thanks!

Nabby

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks again for the friendly reminder.
    Just downloaded both and looking forward to exploring these apps later today.

12. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Did everyone get their registration number now? Mine came instantly after payment.

Edited to add: I just did my SkyGazer download and got my registration number instantly. For those of you who didn't get your registration email, check your spam box. The emails seem to be generated properly.

13. Interpolation macrumors regular

Nope not got mine yet. Have check my spam and nothing. :-(

14. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Is there a link for getting the Mac OS versions of Voyager and/or SkyGazer? I don't see anything on Carina's site. There *is* a message on their store pages that says, "TEMPORARILY DISABLED - Due to unexpectedly high volume, this download has been disabled at the request of our webhosting provider. We are working with our hosting provider to resolve this problem. Serial numbers will be emailed to all customers who have purchased them."

Bummer if I missed out already, but I did make sure to get the iPhone apps, though. It is extremely nice of Carina Software to even do this. I hope I can still get in on the deal for the OS X desktop software.

--DotComCTO

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Not gotten mine yet either...:(

16. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

OSX

SkyGazer http://www.carinasoft.com/files/SkyGazer454CD.dmg

Voyager http://www.carinasoft.com/files/Voyager454CD.dmg

17. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I just noticed this on the Corina Soft site:

Voyager 4.5 CD Online Download
    TEMPORARILY DISABLED - Due to unexpectedly high volume, this download has been disabled at the request of our webhosting provider. We are working with our hosting provider to resolve this problem. Serial numbers will be emailed to all customers who have purchased them.

:eek:

18. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That was reported three posts above and two hours before yours.

My links go directly to their OSX download locations. Those links are still working.

I'm surprised that they didn't account for the concept that a bunch of people would be doing a lot of downloading. I guess it shouldn't surprise me because they're using a PayPal storefront and apparently those storefronts don't account for free items so they had to charge 1 cent. Big mistake. PayPal has a per-transaction fee. For items costing $0.00 USD - $3,000.00 they charge 2.9% + $0.30 fee. So, not only are they not getting their 1 cent (because of the 2.9% charge) they're also getting hit with a 30 cent fee for every download "purchase." This is going to cost them a LOT of money. Apparently this was not thought through as well as it could have been.

19. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thanks...sorry for the late post...:)

20. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Avaloncourt...who's better than you, dude?! :D

Nice work! I'm downloading right now (pretty slowly). I presume these are the trial versions, and there's some registration process? Is that done within the app, or within the purchase process? I do have an email into Carina Software about the issue. Hopefully they will reply with some solution.

Thanks again!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

21. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Well...the software has downloaded, but it seems that Carina Software has had to make some changes in their offer (from their site):

Not sure if Carina Software will take requests for serial numbers via direct email, but I gave that a shot anyway. Bummer! Well...at least I was able to get the iPhone apps!

Still - it was a very generous offer from Carina Software to even offer this up at no charge!

--DotComCTO

22. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Just tried to call them to get an order done for the Mac version special.

They basically said they are working on the problem, might have it resolved in 2-3 hours, and good luck with the purchase......

23. return7 macrumors 6502

pretty cool on their part (even given the hiccup w/ their hosting provider)!

24. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

They replied back to my email and apologized saying they couldn't do anything now, but that the situation is changing hourly. They said I may want to check the site periodically to see if anything gets updated.

Either way, I appreciate their efforts!

--DotComCTO

25. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I'm glad I DL'd both of these 1 cent programs at 1:00 this morning...I had a feeling they were going to be overwhelmed by 6:00am...