SL and CPU/GPU usage for QT X, Garageband, etc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swingerofbirch, Jul 4, 2009.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I have a uMB 2.4 GHZ. It does not function well for recording video from the isight in QT Pro or using Garageband for extended periods in that the fans reach 6200 RPM, stay there, and create too much noise for recording.

I am hopeful and curious about whether SL will instruct the MacBook to use the GPU for tasks like video recording in SL? Does anyone using SL have any feedback on processor/GPU usage for video recording in QT for example versus leopard?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're still going to need application software that takes advantage of those features. Not to mention it's not going to reduce the fan noise.

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Well I guess I didn't explain well enough. My thought which I didn't write out for some reason--was that the processor is what gets the hottest--so it's what causes the fans to come on. If the work of recording video is offloaded onto the GPU, maybe the computer will run cooler. Since SL is written with OpenCL built in, I was wondering if QT X is being written so that video recording could be offloaded onto the GPU?

I don't know where my mind is--that was a rather implicit thought to get from what I wrote.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The chipset/IGP and CPU are on the same heatpipe. When they get hot the fan is going to spin up. Moving the load to the GPU isn't going to resolve anything heat related.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Considering the GPU is built on a bigger process than the CPU (and Nvidia doesn't have the greatest rep in the performance per watt department), I'd bet GPU offloading would give you more heat, not less.