Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I recently reformatted my mbp because the filesystem crashed and I couldn't repair it. Everything works fine except it beach balls a lot now and it's driving me crazy. It will beach ball quite frequently for like a minute or 2 randomly. This never used to happen until I reformatted it. I ran the disk utility repair and it still beach balls. I think its just a bad install. I have the Early08 MPB and Snow Leopard.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I've always had beach balling issues at random times. iMovie ALWAYS beach balls. I'm on my 5th Snow Leopard reinstall in a month. Nothing but normal apps. I don't even use SL that much anyway, so I don't think I've messed anything up.

Goofy Yno

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
I recently reformatted my mbp because the filesystem crashed and I couldn't repair it. Everything works fine except it beach balls a lot now and it's driving me crazy. It will beach ball quite frequently for like a minute or 2 randomly. This never used to happen until I reformatted it. I ran the disk utility repair and it still beach balls. I think its just a bad install. I have the Early08 MPB and Snow Leopard.

I had just the opposite. my was beach balling randomly, and progressively more often. none so far on SL. (course it has only been running for 12 hours:p)

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I have tons more beachballing since Snow Leopard.

I'm considering the dreaded re-format, but I don't know if I can devote the day to restoring everything.

I regret upgrading to Snow Leopard.

Goofy Yno

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
OK, I stand corrected. I used FCE for the first time today- Beach ball central. up to 3 minutes at a time. Yuck. :mad:

but so fat all the other waters are smooth sailing...;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Safari beach balls for me at times, but then It always had. I think the occurrences have increased but that just might be my perception. All in all, I've been pleased with SL

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My iMac is prone to the spinning beachball far more now I have Snow Leopard installed. I've clean installed Snow Leopard twice after having issues logging in once and then slowdown problems and it's slowly coming back again now.

I'm thinking of going back to Leopard for a while until the issues I'm having with Snow Leopard are fixed. I've found myself using my hackintosh more since installing Snow Leopard on my iMac.

Hopefully 10.6.2 when released will fix all the problems people are having.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Hear hear! I'm getting really tired of the beach balls. iTunes sits there and spins for a while, Safari spins for a while, iPhone spins for a while and if I clean it up, it slowly creeps back until, a few days later, it's just as bad. At least Windows takes a few months before it slows down. It's gotten to where I'm considering putting a different OS on the hardware so I can use it without having to wait and wait and wait every time I dare click a menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.