*SL BUG* Dictionary opens a new window with each entry.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Julien, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Since Snow Leopard install Dictionary opens a new window with each word. Before SL it would only open 1 window and you could scroll using the arrow keys (top left). Now the arrow keys stay grayed out on all the windows. I only want one window to open and there is noting under Preferences (or anywhere else I can find) to set. Although under Preferences it has Contextual menu - Opens application - Opens Panel. Have tried both but don't see any difference.

EDIT: I now see the difference in Contextual menu - Opens application - Opens Panel. I use Firefox and it seems to be a Safari feature. Still can't figure out how to stop all the windows from opening.

2. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Could someone try using Dictionary and see if you are having the same behavior? Also if you see a way to change it to using just one window please post the way to do this.

3. loft3 macrumors regular

Mine does not do that. It works as it did in 10.5

4. Elzlaik macrumors regular

I am not having an issue using the back and forward keys to scroll through previously viewed words. However, I also have the issue that if I have dictionary open and I click in safari to "Look up in Dictionary" it opens it in a new window. Very annoying.

5. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I just tried quitting and then reopening and it opened all 8 windows again. Bummer. I guess I will try resetting my computer in a day or two (would like to test the 64bit boot terminal command anyway) and see if that remedies it.

Also it's odd because it does have a windows drop down menu in the menu bar. Did 10.5 have this same menu option and what is it for if you not supposed to have multiple windows? makes me think there should be some way to configure or cut on/off this "annoying" feature.

Also are you using Firefox?

6. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Tried on my Mac Book Air and same problem. Seems to be a 10.6 bug that no is noticing.

7. akadmon macrumors 68010

Same thing happens on my machine. If I open the Dictionary app and start entering words, I get only one window and I am able to navigate among previous entries using the arrow keys. However, when I select a word in another application (e.g., Safari) and choose Lookup Up in Dictionary from the contextual menu (right click), then every time I try to lookup a word a new window opens in the Dictionary app. I can confirm that this does not happen in Leopard. I have both L and SL on my machine, so it is easy for me to switch between the two to test things.

I hope this is not a new "feature" in SL :eek: Can someone with a developer account please report this bug?

8. slapppy macrumors 65816

At first it did, now it stopped doing it. Opens up a single window now as before and closing the window closes the apps. All I did was double check my dictionary application preferences. After that all is well.

9. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

What do you mean by "...double check my dictionary application preferences..."? Here is the entire Preference pane so what are you checking (or double checking) that I'm not?
    [​IMG]