SL Clean Install Without External HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by A Macbook Pro, Aug 30, 2009.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I was wondering If I could do a clean install by making a partition and installing SL on it, using a 4GB USB to transfer my files bit by bit, then erase the Leopard partition? Will this have the same effect as a Time Machine backup clean install? Thanks, any help would be great.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If I was you, I would buy an external HD. Not just for this, but for everything. You never know when your HD is gonna die.

3. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

I am planning on buying an external, but for now, will this work?

4. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Chop69 macrumors newbie

You can do a clean install with the upgrade disk. Boot the the CD by holding c at boot up, then form the menu bar on the SL install screen, choose disk utility. Erase the disk you are installing to, and it should show up when you choose the install location.

I used the "upgrade disk" to install to a clean hard drive. I upgraded to an SSD at the same time as my SL install.

6. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Yes, sounds fine. Why would you need to use a USB drive to transfer your files if you have 2 partitions on the same disk though?

I mounted the DMG to a 10GB partition on my Leopard drive, then booted into the new 10GB partition and ran the SL installer from there. Choose the old partition as the destination and erased it before installing SL (clean install). Afterwards, I deleted/merged the 10GB install partition. I already had a backup of all the files I needed on my Time Capsule's drive.