SL data loss "most shared" news story

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ss957916, Oct 14, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

To be the BBC's most shared story CANNOT be good news for Apple. I'm amazed there hasn't been a press release on this because, now it's so big in the press, journalists will now just pounce on it and start tearing Apple to pieces.

Years of Macs are better than PCs ads are not a good thing to have done when MS have got a new, great, stable OS and Apple are now offering an incredibly unstable, unreliable one.

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Oh dear

I'd still rather have this bug than most of the MS Windows 'features'

It just shows that press wants some 'horror' to wave in the face of smug Mac users and with seemingly being the worst of it I feel even more smug.

Have you ever had to rebuild a Windows system after viral malware has rendered it unusable?

I bet MS wish they had an easy fix for that kind of horror.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seriously?? You're happy to use an OS that had been shown to delete ALL your data (so who knows what other bugs there are if there's something like that) instead of Win7 which, so far is a perfecty stable, useful OS?

I'm not on SL but, if I was, I'd get off it immediately.

5. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

How do you avoid pouring liquids on your keyboard if you haven't ever done so? A fix for the SL bug will be sooner than waterproof keyboards and is definitely an 'easy fix' when compared to inherent problems with Windows.

I'm glad we all know about this risk now and I'm glad it will be fixed quickly.

This has no effect on general stability of SL and is more of an oversight during testing. I'm very happy to use 10.6 very much more so than the inevitable complications of running an MS system. I'll definitely not be 'downgrading' to 10.5 in a vista to xp way.

You would have loved the firewire drive erasure during installation a few years back.

Do you really think this is a deal breaking problem? (I think you're a troll but luckily I'm a gnome who enjoys feeding trolls.)

Tell me something interesting about this being the BBC's "most shared" news story, (tech news story).

6. 00christian00 macrumors newbie

You talk like this because you have not been affected by the bug.
    I would like to hear from you if this happened to you :
    "Yeah,I'm happy to have lost all my data if this served the right cause.Hail Steve!".

And even before you say you do backup,let's talk again after you lost one day of busy work .....

Oh and on Windows the only serious issue to me it happened back then on Windows 98 time.After that the most that it did to me because I was lazy with antivirus was corrupting some program.
    The only reason Mac doesnt' have viruses is not because it's superior OS,but because the user base is so small a hacker doesn't even waste time to find exploit.
    Linux is also virus and trojan free,but when there is some interest like for example on Servers,you see how often they find security breach.It's all a matter of interest.None care about breaking Macs.

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Go and use linux, I hope you enjoy the experience, but again do remember to do your backups and choose a tried and tested version if a day of work is mission critical - anything less would be foolhardy.

Luckily, you appear 'bright' enough to be aware of your own shortcomings and have not been using 10.6 in this way.

well done.

thanks for the entertainment, I have work to do now.

Cheers

8. 00christian00 macrumors newbie

No point to talk to who doesn't want to listen.This is fanboyism to the core.
    I guess you talk about Windows and Linux just from what you heard and not from first experience.

I am using Snow Leopard and I couldn't care less about this bug because I am the only one using this notebook,but this doesn't make the bug less serious.
    There are people who share the notebook with the family and doesn't do any backup.I guess they will be happy to lose all their pictures thanks to an untested bug on their superexpensive Mac "that just works".

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank you for pointing that out. Was it an issue, especially because it said prepared statement and not press release?

10. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Yes, because Apple only issued the statement to CNet, and has not answered questions or given statements to any other news source.

11. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's people who use Windows who save us the trouble of having to deal with viruses merely by being their main target. I'm quite grateful they're willing to shield us with their own computers, especially if they've got data to lose which isn't backed up in case something went wrong.

I couldn't care less about this bug because I did a clean install anyway.

I wonder, are these people you're talking about somehow immune to hard drive failures, notebook theft or other random occurrences? :rolleyes: