SL didn't add additional multitouch gestures

Discussion in 'macOS' started by utwarreng, Aug 29, 2009.

1. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, I've not been able to find the answer. I bought my Macbook in February 2008, right after the revision (system profile says Model Identifier: Macbook 4,1) and I have the 2 finger multitouch scroll, but I had been reading that SL would enable all of the multitouch gestures for Macbooks that already supported at least the 2 finger gesture.

Did this end up being a rumor that was proven wrong, or did something go south in my install? I just did the upgrade, but had been thinking about wiping everything out and doing a clean install.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, if you had multitouch already (pinch, rotate, etc.), you'd get the four finger swipe etc. Your Macbook does not have multi touch. 2 finger scroll is not multitouch.
    There are many threads on this.

3. rjheys macrumors regular

no

Snow Leopard was only ever adding four finger gestures to Macs that all ready had three finger gestures, they are the only macs that have the same multitouch chip as the iPhone.

4. Trepanator macrumors newbie

The old black/white MacBook uses a Synaptics chip for reading the trackpad. The newer unibody models use the same Broadcom chip that is in the iPhone.

The multitouch updates apply to those models with the Broadcom chip.

(I'm in the same boat as you are with my MacBook 2,1. Update was still well worth it, so far I am more impressed with the SL than I ever have been with any of the 10.5.x releases.)