SL - Disk Size Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ellen, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

I own an iMac (2007) and Macbook (2008) and upgraded both to Snow Leopard. Both have about the same setup - if anything there are more apps on the iMac. Yet after the upgrade, the Macbook is showing that the hard drive is using about 4GB more space than the iMac. I can't figure out where the extra files are but am curious if anyone knows what might be the reason.

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

3. iVoid macrumors 65816

I assume you mean 4GB more total space?

More than likely they are different drive models that have slightly different capacities (even if the 'advertised' size is the same).

The other possibility is that there's a Boot Camp partition on one about 4GB in size. Or possibly some other extra partition that is taking up spac eon one machine and not the other.

Open Disk Utility in both ans see what the partitions look like on each.

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Absolutely nothing to do with what the OP asked.

Reading is your friend. Good job with the edit.

OP. What drives are installed in each Mac, and did you do different installs on each? Clean or upgrades...?

5. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Both SL installs were upgrades. I will have to check the Macbook, but the HD on the iMac is a Western Digital, 300 GB.

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

"about" the same setup?

You're comparing apples to oranges. Unless both drives contain exactly the same things then who knows where the 4gb is coming from?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Could it be the sleep image file in /var/vm?

Did you have that disabled/deleted in Leopard? I disabled and deleted that puppy in 10.5 but with the install of OSX it appeared again and since I have 4gig of ram, its size was 4gig.

8. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks maflynn. How to I determine the status of the sleep image file? I have 4GB of RAM installed on my Macbook so I bet that is the reason.

I am not looking to delete anything, I just like to learn about my computers.

Also if that file exists there wouldn't seem to be a need to back it up in Time Capsule, which is how I noticed the size discrepancy between the 2 computers.

9. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

The sleep image file on the Macbook was definitely the reason for the extra 4GB compared to my iMac. I didn't delete it - but I don't see the reason to back it up in my Time Capsule so I excluded that file. maflynn, thank you very much.