SL from Tiger - Grey Apple screen How long?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mdrdsr, Oct 31, 2009.

1. mdrdsr macrumors newbie

I have tried numerous times, several different ways, to boot from and run the SL install on my MacBook Pro running Tiger. The DVD spins and makes its normal noises then the grey apple screen appears that the *circle with bars" not the spinning color wheel, spins and spins. I have waited up to 30 minutes but nothing. I was expected to be able to pick the language then do a clean install, but it never moves from the grey apple screen. Any ideas?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Log in to your Mac (under Tiger) and put the disc in. See if it is read properly - might be an issue with your disc. Check for scratches.

3. mdrdsr thread starter macrumors newbie

I have. It reads it ok. I can actually start the install from the DVD and it says to reboot to start installation. So I do, and it just hangs on the grey circle of death :)

The drive is fine as I have recently installed applications. I am not sure what else to try.

4. kolax macrumors G3

5. mdrdsr thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. I was able to boot from my original Tiger disk and get off the grey screen. I went to disk utilities and verified permissions and disk. It did repair two permission errors. I then once again tried to boot from SL DVD and it just spins on grey screen.

Now, you ask if I formatted the drive. I have not done so as I was expected to be able to do so after selecting the language then going to Disk Utility (as I did with the original tiger dvd). This was my understanding. Or are you suggesting that I have to format the drive *before* I try to boot from SL coming from Tiger?

6. kolax macrumors G3

Ah I mis-interpretted your previous post, thought you meant you had gotten past the languages.

Sounds like the Snow Leopard disc is corrupt somewhere along the line. Though, a bit dust on the DVD lens can cause problems. Do you have any lens cleaner discs handy? They are really cheap and in general useful to have.

7. mdrdsr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback/insight. I believe that you are correct and the DVD is messed up.

8. kolax macrumors G3

If your Tiger disc boots up and you get to the languages, then it makes sense to assume your optical drive is fine.

There has been reports of people receiving scratched Snow Leopard DVD's. Take it back to where you got it from, or better, an Apple Store if you live near one. They should swap it no problem - end of the day, the disc is pretty much worthless - they are more concerned you bought the software.