SL: I was right

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gustavopi, Nov 26, 2008.

1. gustavopi macrumors member

Some time ago I buy my MacMini Core 2 Duo with Leopard pre-instaled. I became to foruns to say that the system was working below expectations. The answers was: buy 4 times more memory, buy another Mac... But now I see Apple working hard at the same Leopard to make it run as it should - as the name says. No more functions, but better optimization: better use of the resources of the hardware. I was right: Leopard is heavy. And just because nobody wants Windows Vista, doest mean that we cannot talk about Leopard.

I WAS RIGHT!

And I love being right (or I hate it? I'm so confuse...)

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Don't want to sound like I disagree, because I agree with a lot of it...but I don't Leopard is heavy at all. I find it much more responsive and efficient than Tiger, but I'm sure there external factors that could be affecting our different interpretations. I'm looking forward to Snow Leopard, though: I think Apple is making the right choice in streamlining their OS.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Funny some of us would have said uninstall Norton and check to see if an AIO printer driver or some other App is sucking cycles.

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Generally speaking my experience matches ZiggyPastorius's. In things other than handling large amounts of text, Leopard feels about the same as Tiger did for me; for text it's significantly faster (which is somewhat important to me as a programmer).

There's so many variables though that any individual experience with it is next to impossible to draw conclusions from :/

5. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

I got no Norton, but Leopard install by itself some Epson Printers (I got just one and 5 drivers). I try some optimization software but the result was not very expressive. Will be fine if I was able to manage some factors like cache size, virtual memory size, etc..

6. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

I'm programming with Flash 8 now. It is at space above. If I go there, the windows will appears white, system becomes unrensponsive for a second, than the beautifull multicolor circle rounding, rounding... and rounding. And finally I can work again. It will not work like this if I leave ONLY Flash opened. But I need other tools to work! Tiger needs HALF memory to run, and dont tell me that it has only half functions.

I still like Leopard, but I'm afraid he dont like me...

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

flash is not exactly light on memory. add more ram.

8. belvdr macrumors 601

Out of your total 6 posts, I am still struggling to find one where you said you were having performance issues. :confused:

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Flash has been recently updated. No longer does it heat my CPU like it did.

10. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

I'm newbe here. Most of my posts was at Apple Discussions, MacNN and AppleFritter. But this point I discuss more at Apple, were I try to find out how to make network works - this is another story - and how to make Leopard runs better also. There is some things u can do such 2D dock, no spaces, no widgets... Well, I think will put more mem!

I still got an iMac 333 with 384 mem and 6 of video. All my software is there, like Photoshop CS, Freehand, Flash, etc., all over Panther. So u shoud agree with me that when I bought this brand new Apple, I was expecting more!

I'm saying because I still belive in Mac OS X - more than Steve. He try to make it appears as Windows instead a more professional system. There is several moments that only Terminal and Unix knowledge can save you. Glad we have the Terminal, Windows is MUCH more complex. Thats why I like iPhone: simplicity, usability, stability - the Holy Graal.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Unless you upgraded the software too, all of your heavy apps (flash, photoshop, etc) will be running under rosetta emulation. If that's the case, they'll need about twice the memory then normally need, and run at about 3/4 the speed.

12. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

Humm, interesting... The activity monitor says PowerPC instead Intel for Flash Professional (200MB real memory, 1.5GB virtual). This means is running under rosetta? In that case, I should incrase mem and perform an upgrade. Why nobody tell me about before?

13. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't know about this app specifically, but if this is a PowerPC app running under Rosetta, look for an Intel version. That should eliminate your issues. If not, then look into more memory.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You're running really old copies of that software. The Intel switch meant that all Mac Programs had to be recompiled as a universal binary (runs natively on PPC or Intel). For older apps, defunct apps, and Microsoft, there was/is rosetta, an emulation program that runs in the background and translates on the fly, allowing PPC apps to run on Intel, at pretty reasonable speeds for general usage, although not good enough for pro users.

The only way you will get to take full advantage of your system is if you buy CS4.

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

Did you bother to ask?

16. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Heh, this explains so much. Yeah, Rosetta will definitely hog resources like crazy. It's a nice emulator, but there's only so much it can do.

17. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

I'm talking about other forums - I'm new here, and begining to like it! I'll call you, dont worry... ;-)

18. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

The Classic environment over Panther is great too, but cannot perform miracles. I got to agree with people: only with pure Intel apps on RAM is possible to get a better idea of real performance. So we dont have to quadruplicate the MacMini's RAM (it ships with 1GB), but duplicating will be enought. We are saving some money here!