SL install from external hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dr_Maybe, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Suppose you had an ISO of Snow Leopard and an external hard drive. Can you install from the ISO instead of burning the ISO to a DVD and install from the DVD?

2. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

yep you can, and thats what i did to prevent my dvd from scratching. besides, the best part is the WAY sped up installation time.

3. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Great. Is it OK to just have the ISO file on a Mac formatted external disk or do you have to actually make a partition on the drive with the contents of the ISO?

4. Josephkyles macrumors regular

What about .dmg? Can I make a .dmg into a .iso?

5. Josephkyles macrumors regular

6. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

make a partition on an external drive. then "restore" the .dmg to that partition! :)

7. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Can't clone the DVD to dmg....

So for whatever reason I can't get the SL dvd to extract into a .DMG w/ disk utility.

I have ended up with a DMG at the end of everything, but have been unable to restore the dmg to my external firewire.

I have successfully done this in 10.5 with my leopard disk, and I SHOULD have cloned the disk before I installed SL, I am wondering if you can't clone it with SL's own disk utility.

Anyone have tips here? secretanchitman?

8. milamber macrumors regular

"Supposing" meaning you downloaded snow leopard from the internet right?

9. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Suppose you had just spent ££££ on a new MBP 13" 2.53ghz weeks ago, knowing that Snow Leopard would be an almost free upgrade.

But then found out that it took too much time and hassle to fill out the paperwork. And then wait for a long time to get it with mail and get it through customs and so on. I would have paid an extra $10 when purchasing the machine if the disk was just sent to me at the end of August without having to fill out forms and give my credit card number etc.

It is too complicated, Apple could have just made it possible to download directly from them for recent buyers of new macs. Or at least make it easy to buy it directly from Apple authorized retailers at the discount price. I don't live in a country where Apple have their own shops.