SL Install issues. Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dustyfanz, Aug 29, 2009.

1. dustyfanz macrumors newbie

ok so I've tried to install SL twice now and it wont work. It goes through the first 10 minutes or so, then it says, download will continue after computer restarts. It spits the disc out and reboots my machine. It reboots like normal and asks for my password. When I log in, nothing else happens. It just starts up like normal and says that I am still running 5.8. So frustrating.

Please help if you've had this issue or you know of something I can do to resolve.

Thank you so much

2. betaboy78 macrumors regular

betaboy78

I had to close some of my Dashboard widgets and that got SL to finally install on my iMac.

3. dustyfanz thread starter macrumors newbie

weird. did you have the same problem initially? I'm gonna give that a shot and see if it helps. I dont know why it would but if you say it did for you, then it's worth a shot!

Alexandria eh? I grew up in Va Beach, went to school in Richmond. My borther lived in Manasas for a while.

4. Waterdweller macrumors newbie

Same EXACT problem

IF you solve this issue let me know. I loaded SL on 2 of my 3 Macs with ZERO difficulties, however my MAC mini which is my Media center computer...does exactly what you are saying.

5. dustyfanz thread starter macrumors newbie

just tried to install for the 3rd time to no avail. I removed all dashboard widgets except for 3 stickees. So frustrating! Please help if you have any idea of how to fix this problem!!

6. Waterdweller macrumors newbie

Beat this...

I have tried at least 6 times, goes thru the motions for about 40 minutes each time, restarts spits out the SL disk and pretends like nothing has ever happened and still at 10.5.8;
    FYI: I've also run Disk Utility and have noticed that I have some kind of permissions problem that the program and Onyx won't or can't fix...not sure if this is my prob with SL

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

8. Waterdweller macrumors newbie

YES I am just as I did on my Macbook and iMac with NO problems whatsover

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

On the system having the problem, try a fresh install on a different disk. If that works, you know it has something to do with the current system software.

S-

10. Waterdweller macrumors newbie

When you say "fresh install on a different disk" are you meaning putting SL on a USB disk and try it OR do you mean try installing it on another HDD...which on my mini I only have one internal HDD and a backup USB drive.

11. dustyfanz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but I dont really know what you mean by "booting off the DVD." All I have been doing is puting the disc in and running the basic install. Before I even tried the 1st time, I repaired disk permissions so I dont think that will have any bearing in my situation. Any ideas? I will back everything up and try a "clean install" if need be but I cant do that until I get home (not for a couple hours) so if there are any other ideas or if you could give me the steps to the clean install, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Boot off the DVD!!

Insert the DVD. Restart the system and hold down the "C" key while it starts up.

Then let the DVD do its thing.

S-

13. dustyfanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cool thanks a lot! Are there any dangers to that in regards to my hard drive and my files?

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Nope. Just do the default install.

S-

15. dustyfanz thread starter macrumors newbie

16. dustyfanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried booting from the DVD. It just gives me the white screen for a minute or 2 and then spits the DVD out and boots up normally. I dont know what's going on. Gettin pretty frustrated though!

17. dustyfanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally got the reboot to work from the disc. I had to shut the comp down completly for a little bit and then do it. It wouldnt work from a normal restart for some reason. It's now installing so we will see if it actually works. It says 32 minutes remaining which is further than I ever got before. I'll post here again if it works

18. dustyfanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally my Leopard is Snowy!!!

it worked!! After 4 hrs 42 mins after 1st attempt to install, I am now running v10.6. The shut down and reboot from the DVD worked for me. Hope this helps others who run in to the same issue. Thank you to every one who helped, especially sidewinder.

Take care

19. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

20. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Had the same problem. Upgraded my Mini ok, but on my MacBook it restarted back into 10.5.8. Didn't spit out the disk, though. Re-ran the installer without doing anything else, and it installed ok the second time.