SL is asking me for Administrator password, but I didn't set one.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by almac68, Jan 21, 2010.

1. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

Hi,

Can someone help me out. For some unknown reason, my SL started asking me for administrator password every time I want to install or delete something. Basically I can't do anything now because of this.

Why does SL ask me for a password when I didn't even set one. Is there a way to solve this or am I stuck with having to reinstall SL.

Thanks.

Alex

EDIT: I am such an idiot. I may have set a password after all. Went to system preferences and opened up account. On hint, I had the answer. All ok now.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't just press enter? Did it not ask you for a password before a certain date and it just randomly started doing it?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If there is no password, then that is the password. Just press enter.

Some applications need to access folders (write to them) that are normally write protected, but by you entering your credentials (user name + password) you give the installer of that application allowance to write to those folders in order to complete the install.

The password dialog is essential in Mac OS X' security, as that allows malware and trojans not the be installed by themselves, but you have to install them manually.

4. almac68 thread starter macrumors member

almac68

:D

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No need to double post, especially if it is directed at me or Miles, as I haven't seen your edit while writing my reply.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I posted one minute after your original. You didn't edit it that fast :p Spinnerlys, on the other hand, is a slowpoke.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yeah, that's only because I used more letters than you and I have the super fast MacBook Wheel under my index finger.

But you're from Switzerland, so that makes me really super slowmotioned, if I remember that stupid prejudice correctly.

8. almac68 thread starter macrumors member

almac68

OK. Sorry guys.

You know, why is it always when you are at your most desperate hour, you seem to find the answer so easily. I had this problem since a few months back and I was completely lost as to why I needed the password until just now.

Thanks for all your replies non the less.

Alex