SL Kernel Panics caused by NTFS Support

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Daveoc64, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've had a few kernel panics when either restarting or shutting down Mac OS X since upgrading to Snow Leopard.

They've all been caused by the same thing, with the following being taken from the report that comes up when you boot back into Mac OS X:

"Fri Sep 18 02:34:57 2009
    panic(cpu 1 caller 0x725b971a): "ntfs_inode_sync(): Called for attribute inode whose base inode is " "NInoDeleted()!\n"@/SourceCache/ntfs/ntfs-64/kext/ntfs_inode.c:3935"

It seems that there is a problem with the Kernel Extension for NTFS in Snow Leopard that occurs when the system is shutting down.

Has anyone else noticed similar Kernel Panics? You'd need to have an NTFS partition and to access it from within Snow Leopard for this to happen.

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

The very first question is:

Which ntfs fs driver are you using?

1) Paragon
    2) MacFUSE/NTFS-3g
    3) Neither of the above but using Snow Leopard's own native built-in ntfs fs driver

3. Daveoc64 thread starter macrumors 601

3. I'm just using the native NTFS support built in to Snow Leopard.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

The NTFS support is Snow Leopard is not official - it's not in the distro since Microsoft wouldn't give them a license. Apple won't help on that since it's not supported.

5. yudilks macrumors regular

This is non-sense.. Leopard can read NTFS all right.. I never had any panics with NTFS with Leopard... But in Snow Leopard, I have had few kernel panics caused by NTFS related.. Like opening folder, closing folder, etc

Mac has always been able to read NTFS but not write to it.

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, it is not nonsense...

Read the thread again. There is a hack to enable write support for NTFS that Apple turned off in Snow Leopard.

S-

7. yudilks macrumors regular

I know about enabling the NTFS write support.. But Apple disable it in final SL version for some reason... Therefore, if you are enable the write and encountered a kernel panic, you can say that "Apple won't help on that since it's not supported."...

But it's not true that "Apple won't help on reading NTFS since it's not supported". It has been in Mac OS X ever..

Anyway, I have submitted many kernel panics logs, I think someone should have noticed it at Apple.. Hopefully

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

But it is true that "Apple won't help on reading NTFS since it's not supported" if you have hacked the OS to use the unsupported NTFS code.

If the problem happens without the hack, then of course Apple will help.

S-

9. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

I wouldn't get my hopes up over this. Those logs are usually used for Emerging Issues, like the problem with the faulty graphics chip on the 9600 cards. These reports get classified under headings, which are then monitored. If a class gets enough percentage hit, Apple wil then took a look at the issue as a whole.

You might have submitted this panic many times, but it's a drop against the probably millions of reports other individual people send.

Your best bet is to ring up, and if you get through to Tier 2, they might send you the Data Gather App, which you then send off to that agent for and they can have a look at it, and then send to engineering if needed.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It looks like you installed the 64-bit version of Windows. That might have something to do with it.

Are you trying to boot into SL using the 6+4 keys?

And what version of windows is it?

11. Evanrude macrumors newbie

Evanrude

So, consider me new to this conversation. You mentioned 64 bit WINDOWS....I've had Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit installed and running on a separate partition for going on 6 months now.

I upgraded my OS X partition to Snow Leopard 2 weeks ago. I only started getting this same kernel panic 2 nights ago. Seems that I get the error every 3 or 4 shut downs now. So, I have installed nothing in the last 2 days, and there have been no updates come down the pipe from Apple in the last 2 days.

I am just wondering, what would cause the issue NOW, as opposed to when I upgraded to Snow Leopard two weeks ago. That is, IF it's got anything to do with Windows?

Thanks all. :eek:

12. Daveoc64 thread starter macrumors 601

I'm using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional, but I had it installed before Snow Leopard came out and I never had these Kernel Panics in Leopard.

I just got another one on Shutdown (which I can only assume is due to NTFS).

I haven't done anything to modify Snow Leopard (or Leopard for that matter). I haven't tried to get 64-bit mode working on this computer, nor have I used any hacks to get R/W support for NTFS.