SL: Making a clean install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Neotyguy40, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Neotyguy40 macrumors regular

I am trying to figure out how to make a clean install of SL. I just upgraded from Leopard yesterday. I got the family pack, and everything is working flawlessly :D

Though I want to know something; how would I make a clean install of SL? I have a bunch of apps I never use, and other junk files that live in my computer. It would take almost a week to get rid of them all manually, so I was wondering if there was a way to make a clean install? I want to clean my HD as if it were completely brand new.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Boot up from the DVD, do Utilities -> Disk Utility. You should know the rest.

3. Neotyguy40 thread starter macrumors regular

I should, but I don't.

Do I make a new partition, then install it, and erase the other?

4. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

if you have backups of everything, go to the Disk Utility when you boot from the disk (hold C on startup) from the Utility menu. select the partition with your current install, and select Erase from the erase tab. when the partition is erased, quit disk utility and continue the installation.

note: you will lose everything on that partition when you do this (but not something like a boot camp partition

5. DaveICT macrumors newbie

It is on the new Snow Leopard disk but hidden so that people don't unintentionally erase everything. It is under the options folder on the disk.
    But be prepared to setup everything as if it were brand new.. email, networks, etc..

Dave

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

No.

Click on the the first instance of a hard drive, then go to the erase tab and give it a name.

Erase.

Quit Disk Utility and proceed.