Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CPPMaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
VA/USA
In order to have the SL boot on 64 by default:

Edit the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add arch=x86_64 to the Kernel Flags string. I can not modify this file because the Admin account has only "read only" privileges. Any UNIX guy, please, can jump in, and send me the command to modify the file attributes.

Thanks.

sleidy

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2009
modify boot.plist

I am no Unix guy to say the least but the way I was able to modify the boot.plist file was to "get info" of the System Configuration folder that the boot.plist file is located it. On the bottom right corner is a lock, click on the lock, enter your password, modify the permissions, go to the boot.plist file, do the same with that file (get info, unlock with password, modify permissions, save).

At that point you can either leave it that way or reset all the permissions to where they were and reboot.

I may be too late for this thread but maybe this will help others.

Good luck.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Code:
cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
sudo nano Boot.plist

nano is pretty easy to use. Just add arch=x86_64 in between the <string. and </string> tags, then hit <cntl>+O to write it to disk, then <cntl>+X to exit nano. Then to restart with K64 (might as well finish the job UNIX style)

Code:
sudo shutdown -r now

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
In order to have the SL boot on 64 by default:

Edit the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add arch=x86_64 to the Kernel Flags string. I can not modify this file because the Admin account has only "read only" privileges. Any UNIX guy, please, can jump in, and send me the command to modify the file attributes.

Thanks.

copy to desktop

change flag

replace in the directory where boot.plist resides

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Setting the kernel flag as suggested will work, but strictly speaking you are changing the architecture rather than switching on a functionality in the kernel, so for the purist this is the way to go:

type sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

add <key>arch</key>
add <string>x86_64</string>

type Ctrl+o
type Ctrl+x

reboot

Lordedmond

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Tilchestune UK
why mess with the plist

why not modify the nvram itself

with
sudo nvram boot-args="arch=x86_64"

enter password

reboot

if is fails or you need to revert just reset PRAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.