SL on new Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CIA, Sep 3, 2009.

1. CIA macrumors 6502a

We still getting the drop-in upgrade discs or are new macs now shipping with 10.6 pre-installed?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It depends on whether they have pulled it off a shelf or if it came from the factory. By now, most models should have SL installed.

3. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

according to apple website all macs bought after 28-AUG will have Snow Leopard pre-installed

4. paulbeattie87 macrumors regular

I got my MacBook Pro yesterday and it arrived with a CPU Drop in DVD. I'm not sure what difference it makes anyway, it's not that much of a hardship to install Snow Leopard!

5. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I bought a MacBook Pro on Sunday and it had the disk, it was not installed.

t

6. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

My cousin got a 13" uMBP the day after SL came out and it had the drop in DVD. The weird thing is that it was running 10.5.7 before the SL install. If Apple couldn't even get 10.5.8 pre-installed, it makes me think there will probably be drop in DVD's for quite a while.

7. jeffej macrumors newbie

Mac Mini came Without Snow Leopard 9-3-09

My friend just bought a Mini at the Apple Store in Rancho Cucamonga, CA this morning. They told her the Snow Leopard disk was in it. When she got home and opened the box it wasn't there. We called the store and they said "sorry but you'll have to buy the $10 up-to-date program". We called 1-800-MY-APPLE and got the same response. They won't give her one and they won't do anything for her. What should have been a great day getting a new computer has just been a frustrating disappointment.

I bought a copy of Snow Leopard for my own computer and was wondering if I could update her computer as well. I know it's not technically legal, the disk should have been in the box LIKE THEY TOLD HER. Does anyone know if there would be a conflict if I install it on hers and have it on my computer as well?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

8. CIA thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I wouldn't tell you to not do it....
    If Apple really cared about profiting from Snow Leopard it wouldn't cost $30.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The only conflict would be a legal one.

Although morally I'm sure most people would support you.

10. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

False. I have bought 2 macs since the release of SL. The first (mac mini) didn't have SL installed or an installation disc and the second (macbook) bought last night had a install cd but it wasn't pre installed. I'm not complaining because it's an easy install and since I bought the mac mini after SL release and it didn't come with a copy I will be using the disc that came with the macbook twice without any guilt.

And before anyone gives me crap about stealing the OS, I purchased the 10$ copy for my MPB that I bought 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't have used the same copy for two computers if they didn't tell me I had to pay $10 more for SL when I bought a mac mini after the release. So basically I bought 1 copy, the regular macbook came with a copy, and I used one of those discs to do the Mini.

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Didn't they say all macs would include Snow Leopard after 8/28? That's not the same as having it preinstalled.

12. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

This would be fine with me but not all new macs are being sold with a SL disc. As I stated above I bought a new mini after 8/28 and it didn't include an upgrade disc. When I went back in and asked about it I was told I would have to pay the $10 upgrade fee.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not possible to have ALL computers include Snow Leopard on the launch date. Why? Simple. Some of the stock existed BEFORE Snow Leopards release.

Any new computer ordered from Apple's site would have snow leopard. New computers bought at best buy or maybe the Apple store would most likely not have snow leopard because they are existing stock.

And no, manufacturers do not mail OS disks or updated restore disks to retail manufacturers.