SL OSX 10.6 Won't Start Up on MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mannelito, Dec 24, 2009.

1. mannelito macrumors newbie

Hello all,

My 3 week old Mac Book Pro just refuses to start up. It gets stuck on the white/grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel under, in other words, the machine won't boot up.

I bought the machine new with SL installed, had just been working on it, shut it down properly through the menu, went to eat, tried to start it up and now nothing happends.

Except being furious and VERY dispointed on such a new machine,
    I realize that this is a common problem with SL.
    SO... what should I do, can I fix it myself?

Thanks!
    M

2. celticpride678

Try booting of the Snow Leopard DVD by holding down the "C" key at startup. Then, enter Disk Utility and Repair Permissions and Repair Disk.

3. mannelito thread starter macrumors newbie

I did some reading and found that if you try to power up the machine and holding in the "shift" key, it tries to does a Safe Boot.
    So I did that and after a long time of the hard disc loading the OSX was up running again :)

Still really confused to why this happened and should I still try to look into the drive with Disc Utility like you said?

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

This is really weird. This just happened to me tonight. I wonder if there is any connection?

I rebooted because my WiFi signal went dead and then I got the Apple logo with a progress bar (resembled the screen of an iPhone when the new firmware is installed) and then flickering from a light blue to a dark blue screen with a loading circle.

I can boot into Linux fine but no luck with OSX. Verify/Repair permissions does nothing.

5. mannelito thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess this just proves what I have been reading all over the web upon researching - that Snow Leopard is extremely unstable operating system.

Here is were I found the starting with Shift down command.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

6. troutski macrumors newbie

iMac boot issues started today

My iMac running 10.6.2 was acting really odd this morning. I rebooted only to find I can't reboot. It will also not boot into safe mode.
    Have we a virus issue? It has been trying to boot for about 20 min. the progress bar is about half way......

:(