SL - Quicksilver - extremely annoying issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helix21, Aug 29, 2009.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

I am running the latest build of quicksilver β56a7 (3825).

Say I want to open something using quicksilver in space 3. I previously opened something using quicksilver in space 1. When i use the hotkey to being up quicksilver, instead of appearing on space 3 (as it should and did in leopard), spaces kicks in with its real flaky animation and takes me over to space 2 with quicksilver launched.

EDIT: For snow leopard

2. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone? I am pretty sure many of you out there must use quicksilver

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It sounds like you have Quicksilver assigned to space 2 so every time you open it, spaces is activated.

When I use Quicksilver it opens on whichever space I currently am working on.

4. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

this under snow leopard?

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What do you mean by that?

If you mean am I running Snow Leopard? Then yes I am it arrived in the post today.

Open spaces preferences are see if Quicksilver has been assigned a 'space'

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Nope, I have the same issue. Quicksilver has some major issues with SL, and will not open in the current space if it's been opened in a different one earlier.

It's too bad; Quicksilver is a great app.

7. bobwaycott macrumors newbie

I, too, have experienced the exact same behavior ... and found a workaround.

I'm not happy with it, but it works.

First, I'd like to take a quick guess at the scenario here:

helix21, You have selected the option that removes Quicksilver from the Dock, right?

stridemat, You have not selected that option and Quicksilver shows up in your dock and your cmd+tab list, doesn't it?

helix21, like you (I'm presuming here) I never run Quicksilver in the Dock. Switching to Snow Leopard suddenly meant that my Quicksilver was limited to whatever Space I first invoked it in.

What works for me right now is re-enabling the "Show icon in Dock" option in QS's Preferences. Since I did so, it works in all Spaces. Guess I'll have to live with the Dock icon for now.

8. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm missing something but Quicksilver seems to be working normally for me. I'm using the latest build as well. I have it hidden from the Dock and the Menu Bar and it works in all Spaces, just like always. The only issue I noticed is I know longer have the "Look up in Dictionary" action -- the changes to Services must have messed with this feature, somehow.

9. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Absolutely right. The workaround worked, but i hope they update it and fix the issue

stridemat - no, infact snow leopard took away that feature

10. bobwaycott macrumors newbie

Actually, you can still assign applications to separate or all spaces in Snow Leopard.

cubedweller, I'd be interested to know what kind of settings you have activated that enable you to hide Quicksilver from the Dock & still have it show up on all spaces. Keeping that setting on and assigning Quicksilver to every space still did not work for me. Showing it on the Dock did take care of things, though.

11. salvatore macrumors member

I can't get the Quicksilver preferences window to display under Snow Leopard. All that happens is a blank box/window appears, but no text/graphics/et cetera. Anyone experience something similar?

12. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

FYI once I uninstalled Quicksilver, removed the old preferences, downloaded the new version from the website, and installed it, it works just fine.

13. qizhe130 Guest

My Quicksilver also works fine. I have no spaces settings for it, and it is not in the dock or the menu.

I did have issues with it opening when I first installed SL and migrated from Time Machine. I had to uninstall Quicksilver (dragged it to trash and deleted the supporting files with AppTrap) and reinstall a clean copy of the most recent version.

14. salvatore macrumors member

Just tried that; still nothing unfortunately.

15. salvatore macrumors member

16. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

17. salvatore macrumors member

18. cubedweller macrumors 6502

And I'm not sure which settings would be relevant but I believe I may be running an older version. (β54 (3815) in the about window -- I could have sworn that I downloaded a newer version though not too long ago...who knows) I haven't changed anything from my Leopard install to my SL install (upgraded). One thing I do notice is I cannot open the Quicksilver Preferences -- it's just a blank window, none of the options show up. I'm afraid of messing with it any further and will probably leave it as is until another update comes out (if one comes out).

EDIT: Veritas, you can confirm that the B56a7 is working as normal in SL? :)

19. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Read my post above with the correct link.

20. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Yea, I downloaded it from the Google code repository, just didn't want to change anything without someone explicitly stating that it worked, because my install was working (aside from the Preferences dialog).. I just installed the update though and it fixed that problem :) and it's still working in all Spaces as before. Thanks.