SL 'Right' Click Inconsistencies: Dock Vs Elsewhere

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Petoz, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I love the the black translucent option menu that appears when the dock is 'right' clicked. It looks a lot sharper and it is nice to see a graphical change in SL. However, whenever anything else is 'right' clicked, the white option menu appears, as it did in Leopard.

This annoys me. It seems inconsistent and unfinished. I think the new 'right' click menu is so much nicer, and it seems bizarre that this is not used when everything else is 'right' clicked.

Does this annoy anyone else? Is this something that is likely to be updated in a subsequent update?

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I agree

It does make it look unfinished, I thought there might have been an option to change the appearance

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Wow, I never noticed that until you mentioned it ( about right clicking on something besides the Dock brings the white menus).

My guess is that Apple is doing their slow transition on the GUI (ex. Pinstripes fading on the Menubar since 10.0 to 10.5). In 10.7, I'm sure all the menus will be black and more GUI changes.

4. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

was just about to post something on this, looks really cool on the dock.
    only thing bothering me is my dashboard aint working, i can go into but im unable to use any of the widgets.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think they made the Dock menus different because it matches Stacks and the 2D Dock. The Dock feels like ONE universal item now. The white menus looked weird on the Dock.

6. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

It may match the dock, but it doesn't match the rest of the OS, or the rest of the OS doesn't match the dock. Either way, it seems inconsistent to me. That is the only thing that is annoying me about SL.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It is inconsistent, but that is supposedly the new interface they are moving to. Maybe there will be a way to change it, ala Magnifique in Leopard.

8. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

That's how I see it. The Dock is a separate 'app' or service and is internally consistent (especially in 2D mode) and the Finder is separate and internally consistent as well. I rather like it. All I really want at this point is the removal of Aqua buttons, sliders. etc.

Also, a word of warning for any tempted to force install iLeopard (it is possible) but I did it on a test install of 10.6 and it wrecked the whole system. Buttons were gone, Finder, Dock, Menu bar repeatedly crashed whenever you tried to use them. And the uninstaller only makes things worse since it puts back Leopard files. Bad, bad scene that.

9. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Hmm, maybe Apple is hinting to us what's coming up in the future UI :) Me likey the dark solid "marble" look

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I guess that makes the HUD a feature of Dock, not of right clicking.

11. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I just made a topic about this yesterday along with the stupid aqua scrollbar. The only response I got (well, I stopped looking after it) made tried to poke fun and failed miserably.

Where were you guys yesterday? :p