SL - Selecting files in Finder in List View

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netnothing, Sep 4, 2009.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Under Leopard and prior, in List view you can highlight a line by selecting anywhere on the line. However, to actually select the file to drag it, etc, you had to select the file name itself, clicking the date etc wouldn't allow you to drag the file.

Well, in Snow Leopard, you can now select anywhere on the line and it will allow you to drag the file(s). Pretty nice.

However.....this causes a weird UI issue. If the window you are working in is small enough so that the items in list view fill it up completely (so there is a scroll bar), you can no longer right click on any empty space or the date/filesize etc to pull up the contextual menu for example to create a New Folder.

If there is empty space below the file list, then it still allows you to right click to get the menu.

-Kevin

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You can customize the toolbar (right click) and put the "New Folder" button on it (or "Action" button) and use that if you want the GUI way of creating a new folder.

Command+Shift+N still works for those that like the keyboard.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yep.....done all that. Just find it interesting that they decided to change it.

-Kevin

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

The whole contextual menu routines have been changed, and for the worse in my opinion. I used several third-party contextual menus, two primarily, that did a heckuva lot of work for me, do things like moving files and copying file paths, etc.

I've been largely happy with my upgrade, but finding this out, when I really need an old work pattern, is a big bummer.

mt