SL Server local DNS?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by geraldcole, Aug 15, 2011.

1. geraldcole macrumors newbie

I'm trying to set up a 10.6 server for a local office network. It's not going to be providing any internet services, just network accounts and file sharing. It's not in complete isolation though, and it needs to connect to the existing wireless router to connect to the other machines and the internet. The wifi router is the internet gateway and assigns ip addresses.

How do I configure DNS for a machine that isn't the internet gateway or assigning DHCP?

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If you have a local DNS server providing services for your LAN, then you probably need do nothing (SL Server should have gotten it's IP address and the DNS server via DHCP).

If you have no local DNS server for your LAN IP addresses then SL Server needs to have its IP address in a zone in its own DNS server. This is usually configured automatically when SL Server setup doesn't get an answer for itself from the DNS server on your network.

Last but not least, you want to set a forwarder IP address so that the SL server DNS server can forward queries for which it is not the authoritative DNS server (i.e. most everything).

A.

3. geraldcole thread starter macrumors newbie

So would that forwarder IP address be one of a DNS server that my ISP provides, or Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8) or something like that?

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Exactly.