SL takes longer during startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blueteeth, Aug 28, 2009.

1. blueteeth macrumors newbie

hey guys:

i got my snow leopard today and install it right away, the installation was smooth, but after that, i noticed that every time I turn on/restart my macbook aluminum 2.0 (late 2008), it takes significantly longer than before (about 15 seconds slower). In leopard before, the menu bar shows up really quickly, but now only the spotlight icon shows up first, i have to wait another 10 seconds for the menu bar and dock to show. Do you guys have the same problem? Is this fixable?

2. MrM macrumors 6502

I've installed SL on two MacBooks, both work flawlessly. Did you do a Clean Install? You should be able to start up very quickly. On the MacBooks i've installed it on, the second the desktop loads, I can start Safari (1 bounce) and I'm on the net. 40 seconds tops.

3. blueteeth thread starter macrumors newbie

i did an upgrade from leopard. Could this be the reason causing the startup delay?

4. creon macrumors 6502

Safari is open in less than a bounce.

Startup: 35 seconds.
    Shutdown: 2-3 seconds.

I did a upgrade too..no clean install for me either.

5. MrM macrumors 6502

Yes. It's always best to do a clean install to take full advantage of having a completely fresh OS.

6. blueteeth thread starter macrumors newbie

i got the $29 upgrade version. if i wanna do a clean install, do i need to buy a new one?

7. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

nope there is an option when installing asking you to clean install, you can always go to the Disk Utility while booted from Snow Leopard disk and formatting you HD then installing Snow Leo Pard

8. MrM macrumors 6502

You should be able to do a clean install with that DVD. Boot from the DVD, launch Disk Utility and erase your HD. Then close Disk Utility and continue with the install.

Backup all of your data first though. No one likes losing all of their files.