SL Trash: Put back?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Sep 2, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hey i just deleted a file and wanted to use the new glorious "put back" function in SL that moves a trashed file back to it's place.

However neither by right-clicking on the file in the trash nor in the file menu there is a "put back" option.

Where is it?

Edit: Ok i find this very strange. On this particular file there was no "put back" but when i do on another folder/ file there is. WTF?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

How did you delete the first file?

It seems there is a bug that if you delete a file by dragging it from a Stack to the Trash the "put back" option doesn't appear. Either it is that bug or perhaps another.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Where did you delete that first file from?

Seems that the 'Put Back' feature only works when files are deleted through certain apps/areas of OS X.

For example....in my FTP program, if I delete a local file it goes to the trash. However, I can't 'Put Back' the file.

I'm guessing that Apple probably made an API available for 3rd party developers to access that, it will just take some time to get apps updated.

-Kevin

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

i dragged it from stacks to trash, is that why it doesn't work (and why shouldn't it.)?

bug?

5. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I wonder if this is a bug. If you delete a file within an application outside the finder, I think you're supposed to use the undo function from within that application to restore it. The finder only deals with finder stuff?

Yeah, maybe it doesn't make sense.

And I'm too lazy to fire up Windows to see if it works differently in that OS.

god.... don't make me do it!

7. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

It's worked perfectly in Windows. I just deleted a photo from IrfanView and restored it from the Recycle Bin. Why doesn't Snow Leopards "Put Back" feature do what it says...and put files back?!

Edit: I also use AppCleaner for deleting certain apps on my Mac. Any file that AppCleaner finds and deletes (including the app itself) does not have a "Put Back" option.

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You also can't "put back" items that were trashed while you had Leopard on your machine. (I had plenty in my trash when I upgraded ::) )

But yeah, it does appear there's no "put back" when a file goes from a stack to the trash.

mt

9. glenno macrumors newbie

Wow, this is stupid. The fact that Snow Leopard put pack the "Put back" option is one of the reasons I decided I could finally switch to Mac. It's a hugely useful feature to be able to return things from trash that you inadvertently deleted or realize a day later you needed for some other reason, without having to remember which deeply nested folder it came from.

I discovered this inconsistency today. I'd deleted a bunch of photos in Bridge yesterday, turns out one was accidental. Can't auto restore them. I have to do it the laborious way. Luckily I knew where this one went so it's not a disaster. But that's not always the case. I hope this is fixed. Why is it application-dependent instead of OS-wide, as in Windows? (I don't want Mac to be Windows, but this is just a basic ease of use issue.)

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You can't be serious....

S-

11. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Put back, for me, only works with simple file formats such as images and documents. I'm not too bothered about it, I was a little miffed when they removed it as of Cheetah, but I got used to it and stopped caring. If I want to put a file back, I usually just put it onto the desktop until I either remember where it's supposed to go or have a use for it.
    But they should make this across-system Put back instead of some working, some not. Or get rid of it altogether.

Edit: I just tried and Put back now works with applications and folders, which it didn't in 10.6.0~1.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

As glenno says, it's not really new. It's quite old, actually, but used to be called Put Away back in the OS9 OS8 OS7 days. I don't go back any farther, but maybe Put Away does. And yes, I concur that it is very useful. I was quite disappointed that OSX had eliminated it.

13. coppinsrox macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I just found a very simple way of solving this lack in Finder.
    Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think!
    Here's the link (the first in the Applescript section): http://www.giacomoballi.com/scripts.html