SL Upgrade Disc does NOT work on Tiger

greenfestival

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
I own a MacBook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo) with Tiger installed (10.4.11).

After reading several articles confirming that the Snow Leopard upgrade disc works on Tiger, I decided to purchase the $29 upgrade disc.

I pop the disc in, restart the computer, and (after choosing the English language option), am greeted with an error message:

"Mac OSX cannot be installed on this computer. This disc requires version 10.5 or later to be installed."

Anyone have any insight on this?

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California

After reading several articles confirming that the Snow Leopard upgrade disc works on Tiger, I decided to purchase the $29 upgrade disc.

I pop the disc in, restart the computer, and (after choosing the English language option), am greeted with an error message:

"Mac OSX cannot be installed on this computer. This disc requires version 10.5 or later to be installed."

Stop stealing from apple and buy the full SL like you are supposed to?

Comment

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

i had no problem. installed a treat

Comment

greenfestival

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Is anyone else having this problem? I find it hard to believe that i'm the only one.

Comment

nutman

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
you can't do an upgrade install. rather, backup all your information, and do a clean install. that is, boot the disk and use diskutility to wipe the drive. afterwards, you should be fine. this is because the default installation method on the SL disk is upgrade. you have to go through some hoops to find how to do a manual install.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.