SL Upgrade DVD in other macs...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ozarkchoir, Sep 22, 2009.

1. ozarkchoir macrumors member

I bought my 13" Macbook Pro back in July. Did the "upgrade" to Snow Leopard for $9.99 or whatever it was. Am now running SL and like it a lot. That SL Disk says "Mac OSX Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD". My question is can I install this disk on my Mac Mini running Leopard or is the "special upgrade disk" something completely different? This isn't a moral question I'm asking for technical advice. Has anyone used their "upgrade disk" to upgrade any of their other macs in their household?

Thanks guys.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

You are entitled to install Snow Leopard on only one computer per disc unless you purchase a family pack. End of story. This is not about morals, its about legality.

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

It'll work.

Does it violate the EULA? Yes.

4. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

Huh. I'm not sure it's cut and dry as just saying "One install per disc, period."

When I got my new mini (Sept. 4th of this year) it hadn't come with Snow Leopard. I called up Apple, and they said I could use the up to date program to purchase an upgrade for $9.99. Then they looked at my account, and saw my previous MBP, for which I had pre-ordered SL.

The tech from AppleCare told me that I could use that disc on the mini without violating the EULA because I had purchased it after the release. I know that these guys don't make the legal calls on Apple's behalf, but he is speaking as a representative of the company, so I feel it was okay. (Also, my MBP was soon replaced with a new one that DID come with SL, nullifying the issue anyhow.)

I know it's not exactly what the OP was asking, but I think that there are some instances in which Apple will become loose on the EULA for their software.

5. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I'v used mine on a bunch of computers. I also did it with my Leopard Upgrade disk when that came out. It will work.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I think the OP knows, I take that back, I'm sure the OP knows that he can easily do it, he just wants to see the reaction from the forum. We have countless threads on this, which are near impossible to miss from an easy search.
    To the OP, just take the disc and install SL on your other Macs and move on. There was really no reason to create a thread on this, all you had to do was try it, if it didn't work then you have your answer since you obviously refuse to read the EULA.

7. nicorojas macrumors member

An EULA is a contract not a law

I don't know if it is the same dvd they sell, but just to clarify some things, even if you install SL in other computer, at the most you will be in breach of contract. The EULA is not a law, so it is not against the law to act in violation of its terms.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Contract law for personal violations, and criminal when you start doing installs from your DVD for "many" others (won't matter if you do it for them free or charge).

If you have a corporate shell or company, it is usually a good idea to follow the rules since a pissed off fired employee can turn you in for large fines -- and an IRS like rectal exam of the computers.